Chocolate Crumble Brownies are my best box brownie hack. Just by adding some chocolate chips and a delicious, crisp chocolate crumb topping, you can have a simple but extraordinary doctored-up brownie that your entire family will love.
Table of contents
- Brownie Mix - Use your favorite brand. You will also need the ingredients listed on your package. Mine, like most boxes, called for eggs, oil, and water. The amounts often vary with the different brands.
- Cocoa Powder - This is the unsweetened baking cocoa powder.
- Brown Sugar - I usually use light brown sugar in this recipe.
- Oats - Old-fashioned oats are the best, but quick oats will also work if that is all you have available.
- Chocolate Chips - Semi-sweet chips are perfect for this recipe, but milk chocolate or dark chocolate chips will also work.
Start by making the batter for the brownies. Mix the brownie mix with the eggs, oil, and water (or per directions listed on the back of your brownie box). Pour the prepared batter into a baking dish that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
Sprinkle a handful or two of chocolate chips over the brownie batter.
Next, make the chocolate crumble. I usually use the same bowl I mixed the brownie batter in (fewer dishes to wash!).
Mix the butter with brown sugar, oats, flour, cocoa powder, and vanilla. Keep mixing with a fork or a pastry cutter until the butter is evenly distributed.
Sprinkle the chocolate crumble over the brownie mix and sprinkle another handful or two chocolate chips over the top.
Now it is time to bake. Because of the extra topping, these brownies will probably take longer to bake than the directions say on the back of your brownie package. Start checking them at the box suggested time and prepare to give them an additional 5-10 minutes or so.
The brownies are done cooking when a toothpick poked in the middle comes out mostly clean. Remember, there are layers of chocolate chips in there, so try to make sure you are not hitting them when testing.
When the brownies are finished baking, place the baking dish on a rack and cool. Cut them into squares and serve! I hope you enjoy this box brownie hack!
Other recipes you might like
- Try this chocolate crumb topping on your favorite chocolate muffin or coffee cake recipe.
- Store the brownies in the dish it was baked in, lightly covered with plastic wrap. Or, cut the brownies into serving sizes and store them lightly covered.
- Cut a big square of the prepared chocolate crumb brownie and top with a scoop of ice cream for a wonderful dessert.
Do you love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating on the recipe card below & a review in the comments section further down the page.
Chocolate Crumble Brownies
- 1 box Brownie Mix *add ingredients per your boxed mix
- 2 Eggs *
- ½ cup Canola Oil *or vegetable oil
- ¼ cup Water *
For the chocolate crumb topping
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- ¼ cup All-purpose Flour
- ¼ cup Cocoa Powder
- ½ cup Old Fashioned Oats
- 4 tablespoons Butter
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla
- ½ cup Chocolate Chips *optional
- Preheat the oven to the temperature listed on your box of brownie mix.
- Prepare a baking dish (use suggested sizes on your box of brownie mix. I am using an 8" x 10" dish today). Spray the baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Mix the brownie mix according to directions and pour the batter into the baking pan.
- Combine all the chocolate crumb topping ingredients until you have a nice crumble. Use a fork or pastry cutter.
- Sprinkle a handful or so of chocolate chips over the brownie batter, add the crumb topping, and top with another handful or so of chocolate chips.
- Bake the Chocolate Crumble Brownies according to directions on the brownie mix package. **You may find it necessary to increase the amount of baking time.
- Let brownies cool. Enjoy!