Chocolate lovers will enjoy this super easy cake recipe that is sure to be a huge hit at any gathering. This Easy Chocolate Poke Cake recipe starts with a boxed cake mix and adds a layer of creamy coffee flavored pudding that is made with instant pudding mix and instant coffee granules. Whipped topping and chocolate shavings top this moist cake that any serious chocolate lover will rave about.
Table of contents
- Chocolate Cake Mix - Use your favorite brand of chocolate cake. I like using chocolate fudge cake mix or devil's food cake mix. Most all cake mixes call for water, oil, and eggs.
- Vanilla Pudding - You will need a small box of instant vanilla pudding mix.
- Instant Coffee - This is used to turn the vanilla pudding into a delicious coffee-flavored pudding! This pudding is delicious by itself with a bit of whipped topping!
- Whipped Topping - Cool Whip works great if you would rather use it than whipping your own cream.
- Chocolate Shavings - In place of the chocolate shavings, sprinkle some mini chocolate chips over the cake.
Preheat the oven and prepare the box of cake mix per package directions. Most all cake mixes call for water, canola oil or vegetable oil, and eggs.
Pour the cake batter into a prepared 9 by 13-inch baking dish and bake as directed. When the cake is finished, place it on a rack to cool.
To assemble the chocolate poke cake, use the end of a wooden spoon to poke holes in the top of the cooled cake. If you like to have bigger holes use a wooden spoon with a larger handle.
Make the coffee-flavored pudding by dissolving the coffee granules in a small amount of hot water. Add milk to the coffee to equal 1 ¾ cups. In a medium bowl. add the liquid and the pudding mix as per the package directions.
Let the pudding thicken slightly, and then pour over the top of the cake. Place the cake in the refrigerator while preparing the whipped topping.
Use the whipping cream and powdered sugar to make the whipped topping. Start by beating the heavy cream with an electric hand mixer until the cream thickens slightly, then gradually sprinkle in the powdered sugar. Continue mixing until a nice consistency starts to form.
Spread the whipped cream over the cake. Make the chocolate shavings by using a vegetable peeler or a knife to gently shave pieces of chocolate off the chocolate bar. Sprinkle the shavings over the chocolate poke cake.
Refrigerate the chocolate poke cake until the pudding has a chance to set, maybe an hour or so. Serve and enjoy!
We hope you enjoy this decadent chocolate poke cake with a hint of coffee flavor. This rick chocolate cake is perfect for any special occasion or family dessert.
Other recipes you might like
FAQ's and Substitutions
A poke cake starts with a cake base that you poke holes into. Then the cake is topped with pudding and whipped cream.
I have found that using a handle of a wooden spoon works best. You want the holes big enough to hold some of the pudding so you get that amazing flavor throughout the cake.
Yes! Since this cake has pudding and whipped topping it is best to keep it refrigerated. And, keep the cake covered so it doesn't dry out.
I don't see a problem with this at all! Make as thin or thick of a layer of whipped topping as you like!
If you are not in the mood for cake but want a delicious dessert, make the coffee pudding and top it off with whipped topping. Super simple and yummy!
Chocolate Poke Cake
- 15.25 ounce Chocolate Cake Mix chocolate fudge or devil's food
- 3 Eggs *
- ½ cup Canola Oil * or vegetable oil
- 1 ¼ cup Water *
- 3.4 ounce Vanilla Pudding
- 3 teaspoons Instant Coffee
- 1 tablespoon Hot Water
- 1 ¾ cups Milk
- 1 cup Whipping Cream
- ¼ cup Powdered Sugar
- .25 ounce Dark Chocolate Bar
- Prepare and bake the cake according to the package directions. Cool the cake on a wire rack when it is done baking.15.25 ounce Chocolate Cake Mix, 3 Eggs, ½ cup Canola Oil, 1 ¼ cup Water
- Put instant coffee granules in a two-cup measuring cup. Add about one tablespoon of hot water to dissolve the granules. Add milk to the coffee to equal 1 ¾ cups.3 teaspoons Instant Coffee, 1 tablespoon Hot Water, 1 ¾ cups Milk
- Add the coffee/milk mixture to the instant pudding and mix according to the package directions. Let the pudding thicken slightly, then pour it over the cake, filling the holes. Place the cake in the refrigerator while making the whipped topping.3.4 ounce Vanilla Pudding
- Beat the cream with an electric mixer until the cream thickens slightly, then gradually sprinkle in the powdered sugar. Continue mixing until a nice consistency starts to form.1 cup Whipping Cream, ¼ cup Powdered Sugar
- Carefully spread the whipped topping over the cake.
- Use a vegetable peeler on the chocolate bar to make chocolate shavings. Sprinkle the chocolate over the cake..25 ounce Dark Chocolate Bar
- Refrigerate the cake for an hour or so. Serve and enjoy!
- Cover the cake and store it in the refrigerator.