You start with a delicious chocolate cake base, add a creamy layer of coffee-flavored pudding, and top it all off with fresh whipped cream and dark chocolate shavings. Delish! This is the ultimate chocolate poke cake recipe - at least for me, it is.
If you are looking for an easy chocolate poke cake recipe and love coffee, have I got a recipe for you! Chocolate Mocha Poke Cake is super simple to prepare and starts with a chocolate cake mix, pudding mix, and instant coffee.
Table of contents
- Chocolate Cake Mix - Use your favorite brand of chocolate cake. I like using chocolate fudge cake mix and I buy different brands all the time. Pick your favorite.
- Vanilla Pudding - You will need a small box of instant vanilla pudding.
- Instant Coffee - This is used to turn the vanilla pudding into a delicious coffee-flavored pudding!
Prepare the box of chocolate cake mix per package directions. Most all cake mixes call for water, oil, and eggs. Bake the cake in a 13" x 9" baking dish. When the cake is finished, place it on a rack to cool.
When the cake has cooled, use a wooden spoon (or another kitchen utensil) to poke holes in the cake, as shown above.
Make the coffee-flavored pudding by dissolving the coffee granules in a small amount of hot water. Stir the coffee and milk together, and mix with the vanilla pudding mix as per the package directions.
Let the pudding thicken slightly, and then pour over the cake. Place the cake in the refrigerator while preparing the whipped topping.
Use the whipping cream and powdered sugar to make the whipped topping. Start by beating the cream with an electric mixer until the cream thickens slightly, then gradually sprinkle in the powdered sugar. Continue mixing until a nice consistency starts to form.
Spread the whipped cream over the cake. Make the chocolate shavings by using a vegetable peeler or a knife to gently shave pieces of chocolate off the chocolate bar. Sprinkle the chocolate over the cake.
Refrigerate the cake until the pudding has a chance to set, maybe an hour or so. Serve and enjoy!
Keep this cake covered and store it in the refrigerator.
Other recipes you might like
If you are not in the mood for cake but want a delicious dessert, make the coffee pudding and top it off with whipped topping. Super simple and yummy!
Faq's and Substitutions
I have found that using a handle of a wooden spoon works best. You want the holes big enough to hold some of the pudding so you get that amazing flavor throughout the cake.
Yes! Since this cake has pudding and whipped topping it is best to keep it refrigerated. And, keep the cake covered so it doesn't dry out.
I don't see a problem with this at all! Make as thin or thick of a layer of whipped topping as you like!
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating on the recipe card below & a review in the comments section further down the page.
Chocolate Mocha Poke Cake
- 15.25 ounce Chocolate Cake Mix I used chocolate fudge
- 3 Eggs *
- ½ cup Canola Oil *
- 1 ¼ cup Water *
- 3.4 ounce Vanilla Pudding
- 3 teaspoons Instant Coffee
- 1 tablespoon Hot Water
- 1 ¾ cups Milk
- 1 cup Whipping Cream
- ¼ cup Powdered Sugar
- .25 ounce Dark Chocolate Bar
- Prepare and bake the cake according to the package directions. Cool the cake on a wire rack when it is done baking.15.25 ounce Chocolate Cake Mix, 3 Eggs, ½ cup Canola Oil, 1 ¼ cup Water
- Put instant coffee granules in a two-cup measuring cup. Add about one tablespoon of hot water to dissolve the granules. Add the coffee to the milk and stir.3 teaspoons Instant Coffee, 1 tablespoon Hot Water, 1 ¾ cups Milk
- Add the coffee/milk mixture to the instant pudding and mix according to the package directions. Let the pudding thicken slightly, then pour it over the cake, filling the holes. Place the cake in the refrigerator while making the whipped topping.3.4 ounce Vanilla Pudding
- Beat the cream with an electric mixer until the cream thickens slightly, then gradually sprinkle in the powdered sugar. Continue mixing until a nice consistency starts to form.1 cup Whipping Cream, ¼ cup Powdered Sugar
- Carefully spread the whipped topping over the cake.
- Use a vegetable peeler on the chocolate bar to make chocolate shavings. Sprinkle the chocolate over the cake..25 ounce Dark Chocolate Bar
- Refrigerate the cake for an hour or so. Serve and enjoy!
- Cover the cake and store it in the refrigerator.