This Simple Broccoli Casserole is a kid-friendly veggie dish that uses fresh broccoli, cheese, and a little seasoning with a buttery cracker topping. Oh, and no condensed soup! I use sour cream in this yummy broccoli cheese casserole.
Eating your veggies can get boring, and sometimes you must doctor things up. If you deal with picky eaters, this Simple Broccoli Casserole without condensed soup might help you out.
Table of contents
To make this simple broccoli cheese casserole, you will need,
Start with about 24 ounces of fresh broccoli. Chop it into bite-size pieces, and I like to microwave it for 3 - 5 minutes before adding the other ingredients. You want it slightly tender, not mushy.
Step 1. Mix the sour cream, half of the shredded cheddar cheese, and the seasonings in a large bowl. Stir well.
Step 2. Add the prepared, drained broccoli and stir gently.
Step 3. Place the broccoli mixture into a casserole dish sprayed with non-stick spray.
Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top.
Step 4. Crush one sleeve of Ritz crackers in a Zip-Loc bag. Sprinkle the crushed crackers over the broccoli and cheese.
Place small dabs of butter all over the top of the crushed crackers. Bake.
This easy broccoli casserole is creamy, cheesy, simple, and delicious!
Other recipes you might like
- I like to use the big bag of broccoli from Costco. Just trim up the pieces slightly.
- I have only used fresh broccoli for this recipe. Frozen broccoli would probably be too soft after it is cooked. However, if you try it, let us know how it works!
- I had about 6 cups of broccoli before microwaving and about 4 - 5 cups afterward.
- I have also used fresh green beans instead of broccoli in this recipe. Follow the recipe as written and start by slightly cooking the green beans first.
- This recipe is a great holiday side dish.
Find all my recipes on Pinterest at Cook This Again. Or on Facebook at Cook This Again.
Do you love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating on the recipe card below & a review in the comments section further down the page.
Simple Broccoli Casserole
- 24 ounces Broccoli cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese more or less to taste
- 1 ½ teaspoons Garlic 'n Herb Seasoning
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
- 32 Ritz Crackers one sleeve, crushed
- 2 Tablespoons Butter or margarine
- Preheat the oven to 350-degrees.
- Chop the broccoli into bite-size pieces. Cook the broccoli in the microwave with a small amount of water for 3 - 5 minutes. Cook until just tender, not mushy. Drain.
- In a large bowl combine sour cream, half of cheese, garlic 'n herb seasoning, and salt and pepper. Stir well to combine. Add drained broccoli and stir. Put broccoli into a casserole dish that has been spray with non-stick spray.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top of the broccoli.
- Crush one sleeve of Ritz Crackers. Sprinkle the crackers on top of the broccoli mixture. Put small dabs of butter all over crackers.
- Bake at 350 degrees until golden brown, about 25-35 minutes.
Hey!! Just wanted to say I tried this and it was great!! Had to add a little plain yogurt and half and half to the sour cream, and then used dried onion and mustard for spices because of course I didn’t have the right version/enough of anything and it was still great—thank you very much for posting!!! That’s how you know a recipe is good—when you do it all wrong and it’s still delicious.
Excellent recipe, and so simple. I did use Birdseye Broccoli Florets. After letting the broccoli sit at room temperature for a while, I trimmed the stems & microwaved the frozen broccoli just a bit. Made this recipe for Thanksgiving and will be making it again for Christmas dinner.
Hi, could this recipe be made the day or night before and refrigerated until baking.
Cook This Again Mom
It should be fine. I would suggest waiting to add the crackers and butter right before baking.
I would really like some broccoli cooked like this right now! And I'm still supposedly stuffed from a big lunch (I had leftover curry).