These Easy Chocolate Pancakes made with pancake mix are simple to prepare - even on busy school mornings. Add a little cocoa powder and a couple of extra ingredients, and you have a breakfast the kids will love!
Table of contents
These are a family favorite next to Quick and Easy Pumpkin Pie Spice Pancakes.
This particular recipe, as written, uses Krusteaz Pancake Mix. However, I find it works well with several pancake mix brands.
We love these delicious easy chocolate pancakes with a tiny bit of powdered sugar or a fruit-based syrup. Blueberry syrup is delicious!
- Krusteaz Pancake Mix - This is the brand I typically use. Please see below in the FAQ sections about using other brands of pancake mix.
- Cocoa Powder - Use regular baking cocoa powder.
- Sugar - You need just a little to offset the unsweetened cocoa.
- Cinnamon - Cinnamon always goes great with chocolate.
- Water - Most box mixes for pancakes will call for water.
This is so simple! You are going to love it! First, whisk together all the dry ingredients - the pancake mix, cocoa powder, cinnamon, and sugar.
Next, add the water and whisk until combined. I usually let the batter sit for a couple of minutes while the pan is heating up, then I give it another stir before pouring the batter. This helps eliminate any small clumps that may have formed.
Following the directions on the pancake mix box, heat a pan over medium heat. Oil or butter if desired. Since these pancakes have sugar in them, they may tend to burn or stick if you don't watch them carefully.
Pour the batter, about ¼ cup per pancake, into the heated skillet. When the edges start to firm and bubbles appear and pop on top of the pancakes, it is time to flip them.
Cook the Chocolate Pancakes on the second side for 1 - ½ minutes. I usually use my fingers and press the center of the pancake to see if it bounces back quickly. Once it does, the pancakes are finished cooking.
These Easy Chocolate Pancakes with cocoa powder are a delicious way to start, or even to end, the day.
Other recipes you might like
Faq's and tips
I see this question asked a lot. And yes! You can add cocoa powder to the pancake mix.
Just remember, baking cocoa powder is not sweetened, so just add a bit of sugar to offset that so your pancakes don't come out bitter.
Yes! I have used Bisquick to make both Chocolate Pancakes and Chocolate Waffles! Just remember to follow the package directions, and add the cocoa powder along with a little bit of sugar.
You can also add a bit of cinnamon or even a small splash of vanilla for a little extra flavor.
Do you love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating on the recipe card below & a review in the comments section further down the page.
Easy Chocolate Pancakes
Ingredients using Pancake Mix
- 1 ½ cups Krusteaz Pancake Mix
- ¼ cup Cocoa Powder
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 ¼ cups Water
Directions for pancake mix version
- Mix all of the dry ingredients together. Add the water and mix until combined.
- Warm a skillet over medium to medium-low heat.
- Pour ¼ cup of pancake batter onto warmed skillet.
- Flip over when the edges start to firm and bubbles appear on top.
- Continue cooking about 1 - ½ minutes on the second side.
- Serve with fruit, whipped cream and/or powdered sugar.
- 1 ½ cups Milk
- 1 Egg
- 3 tablespoons Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Canola Oil
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ¼ cups flour
- ¼ cup cocoa
- 1 tablespoon Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon