This Fresh Orange Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting is super simple to make. The fresh-squeezed orange juice and orange zest add a delicious flavor to an otherwise plain white cake mix.
We had a lot of oranges on our tree this year. Last weekend my son and his friend picked the last of them for me. When they were finished they brought in a huge box full of oranges.
Other recipes you might like
We have been making fresh-squeezed orange juice almost daily, and yet we still have oranges! They make delicious juice, but the oranges are going to go bad if I don't get busy.
I have been thinking about making my Orange Cream Meringue Pie, but on this day, I was craving cake. I came up with this recipe for Fresh Orange Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting.
Ingredients needed for this recipe
- White cake mix
- Ingredients listed on the back of the package
- Fresh-squeezed orange juice
- Orange zest
- Cream cheese
- Butter or margarine
- Powdered sugar
How to prepare this recipe
This is how I prepared this cake. I started with a plain white cake mix. The recipe on the box called for 3 egg whites, I just went ahead and used 3 whole eggs.
Instead of water, I used fresh-squeezed orange juice. I added the same amount of oil their recipe called for plus I added about 2 - 3 teaspoons of freshly grated orange rind. Then I mixed and baked the cake according to the directions on the box.
For the frosting, I blended cream cheese and butter. Then I added in the powdered sugar, grated orange zest, a splash of vanilla, a dash of salt, and just enough orange juice to get the right consistency.
The cake is ready to frost once it has cooled. I stored the cake in the refrigerator since this is a cream cheese-based frosting,
Fresh Orange Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Hand Mixer
For the cake
- 1 White Cake Mix
- Ingredients asked for on package except the water
- Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice to replace water
- 2 - 3 teaspoons Grated Orange Zest
For the frosting
- 8 ounces Cream Cheese softened
- 2 tablespoons Margarine or Butter softened
- 2 cups Powdered Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Grated Orange Zest
- splash Vanilla
- dash Salt
For the cake
- Pre-heat the oven based on package directions.
- Place the cake mix in a mixing bowl. Add the eggs and oil and directed on the package. Replace the water with an equal amount of fresh-squeezed orange juice and some freshly grated orange zest.
- Mix the cake as directed and pour into a baking dish that has been sprayed with non-stick spray. Bake according to directions on the package. Cool completely.
For the frosting
- Using an electric hand mixer, blend the cream cheese and the butter or margarine.
- Add the powdered sugar, splash of vanilla, dash of salt, and orange zest. Blend and add orange juice as needed to get the right consistency.
- Frost the cake when it has cooled. Since this is a cream cheese-based frosting I stored the cake in the refrigerator.