This Fresh Orange Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting is super simple to make. The fresh-squeezed orange juice and orange zest add a delicious flavor to an otherwise plain white cake mix.
We had a lot of oranges on our tree this year. Last weekend my son and his friend picked the last of them for me. When they were finished they brought in a huge box full of oranges.
Other recipes you might like
We have been making fresh squeezed orange juice almost daily, and yet we still have oranges! They make delicious juice, but the oranges are going to go bad if I don't get busy.
I have been thinking about making my Orange Cream Meringue Pie, but on this day, I was craving cake. I came up with this recipe for Fresh Orange Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting.
Ingredients needed for this recipe
- White cake mix
- Ingredients listed on the back of the package
- Fresh-squeezed orange juice
- Orange zest
- Cream cheese
- Butter or margarine
- Powdered sugar
How to prepare this recipe
This is how I prepared this cake. I started with a plain white cake mix. The recipe on the box called for 3 egg whites, I just went ahead and used 3 whole eggs.
Instead of water, I used fresh-squeezed orange juice. I added the same amount of oil their recipe called for plus I added about 2 - 3 teaspoons of freshly grated orange rind. Then I mixed and baked the cake according to the directions on the box.
For the frosting, I blended cream cheese and butter. Then I added in the powdered sugar, grated orange zest, a splash of vanilla, a dash of salt, and just enough orange juice to get the right consistency.
The cake is ready to frost once it has cooled. I stored the cake in the refrigerator since this is a cream cheese-based frosting,
Fresh Orange Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Hand Mixer
For the cake
- 1 White Cake Mix
- Ingredients asked for on package except the water
- Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice to replace water
- 2 - 3 teaspoons Grated Orange Zest
For the frosting
- 8 ounces Cream Cheese softened
- 2 tablespoons Margarine or Butter softened
- 2 cups Powdered Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Grated Orange Zest
- splash Vanilla
- dash Salt
For the cake
- Pre-heat the oven based on package directions.
- Place the cake mix in a mixing bowl. Add the eggs and oil and directed on the package. Replace the water with an equal amount of fresh-squeezed orange juice and some freshly grated orange zest.
- Mix the cake as directed and pour into a baking dish that has been sprayed with non-stick spray. Bake according to directions on the package. Cool completely.
For the frosting
- Using an electric hand mixer, blend the cream cheese and the butter or margarine.
- Add the powdered sugar, splash of vanilla, dash of salt, and orange zest. Blend and add orange juice as needed to get the right consistency.
- Frost the cake when it has cooled. Since this is a cream cheese-based frosting I stored the cake in the refrigerator.
View the web story for Fresh Apricot Pie.
Thank you for stopping by and checking out my family's favorite recipes. If you tried this recipe and liked it, please use the stars on the above recipe card, or next to the comments below to rate the recipe. If you have a question or suggestion about this or any other recipe, please leave a comment and I will respond as soon as possible.