Lemonade Cake with Marshmallow Frosting. We made this awesome dessert one Super Bowl Sunday. This is a simple recipe kicked up with flavor by the addition of a little bit of lemon extract in the frosting and lemonade instead of water in the cake. Yum!
The frosting on this cake is inspired by a recipe my mom used to make. It’s a creamy, sweet, and delicious marshmallow topping that is a perfect partner for this lemonade cake.
Seriously, if you just try the frosting recipe you will not be disappointed. It would go good on any flavor cake.
Even with the addition of lemonade in the cake, if you find yourself wanting extra lemon flavor, grab a fresh lemon and add a little zest to the cake batter, or even the frosting, or both!
Other recipes you might like
About the Cake
This is almost too easy. Buy your favorite lemon cake mix and use lemonade instead of water. Kick it up a bit more with zest from a lemon if you like. That’s it!
About the frosting
The Marshmallow Frosting is really the star of the show. Don’t get me wrong, the cake is delicious, but this frosting! Yum!
Marshmallow Frosting is really easy to make.
You start by boiling a sugar mixture and adding it to egg whites as they are whipping in the mixer. The most important part to remember is that you want to beat the eggs until stiff, glossy peaks form.
When the frosting is done it will peak from the wire whip as shown above.
Also, if you turn the bowl upside down the frosting shouldn’t slide or move around at all.
For Lemonade Cake with Marshmallow Frosting, you will need
- Lemon Cake Mix
- Ingredients for the cake mix listed on the package
- Egg Whites
- Cream of Tartar
- Lemon Extract
Lemonade Cake with Marshmallow Frosting Recipe
For the cake
- 1 box Lemon Cake Mix eggs, oil, and water/lemonade per box recipe
- 1 cup Lemonade in place of water (use the amount listed on box)
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Oil I often use canola oil (amount listed on box recipe)
- 3 Eggs (amount listed on box recipe)
For the frosting
- 2 Egg Whites
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
- 1/3 cup Water
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Extract adjust to taste
- Lemon Zest optional
- Prepare the cake according to the directions on the package, but use the lemonade in place of the water. Bake the cake as instructed and cool.
For the frosting
- In a saucepan combine the sugar, cream of tartar, and water. Bring to a boil and cook until the sugar is dissolved and, using a candy thermometer, the temperature reaches 240 degrees.
- Put 2 egg whites in a large bowl of a stand mixer. Beat the egg whites until soft peaks start to form. With the mixer still running, slowly and carefully pour the hot sugar mixture into the egg whites. Add the lemon extract and continue to mix until stiff, glossy peaks form. You can also add freshly zested lemon peel if desired.
- When the frosting is done, frost the cake. Serve!
Thank you for stopping by and checking out my family’s favorite recipes.
If you tried a recipe and liked it, please use the stars on the above recipe card, or next to the comments below to rate the recipe.
If you have a question or suggestion about a recipe, please leave a reply to this post.
Sign up for our mailing list…