This Roasted Carrots with Apples and Onions recipe is sweet and comforting. This perfect side-dish pairs well with either chicken or pork.
For this recipe, I like to use pre-packaged baby carrots. This excellent side dish is ready in about 30 minutes by slicing them in half lengthwise.
I have adapted this recipe from a recent side dish from the meal delivery service Green Chef.
Using different types of onions and apples, along with a different cut of carrot, I have modified this recipe to be something my family loves!
Table of contents
As you can see, I completely forgot to add the maple syrup to the photograph. I am sure this recipe is just as delicious if you decide not to add it, but adding a simple pancake syrup makes this side dish just a touch sweeter!
- Baby carrots
- Olive oil
- Maple syrup
- Garlic powder
How to prepare this recipe
Heat oven to 425 F degrees.
Get the carrots ready.
I like the pre-packaged baby carrots; I am not too fond of carrots with the peel still on them. The bagged baby carrots are already peeled and are sweet and delicious.
Take the baby carrots and slice them in half lengthwise.
Now for the apples.
Unlike carrots, I like the leave the skin on an apple. They cook up nicely with the skin still on. Just slice the apples away from the core and cube the apple into ½ cubes.
Finally, prep the onion.
Cut off the ends of the onion and remove the peel. Chop the onion into ½ inch cubes.
Get ready to roast the carrots.
Place carrots with the apples and onions in the center of a large baking sheet. If you want to use a greased baking sheet, that is fine, but I find the olive oil does an excellent job by itself. Drizzle with the olive oil, and then sprinkle with the seasonings.
Mix everything, coating the carrots, apples, and onion well, then spread out in a single layer as much as possible on the baking sheet. They tend to steam more than getting that darker, roasted color if they are too close.
Stir, sweeten, serve
After roasting for about 10 minutes, stir everything and roast for another 8 - 10 minutes. Carefully remove the pan from the oven and push everything towards the center of the baking sheet.
Drizzle the maple syrup over the carrot mixture and mix. Spread out the carrots, apples, and onions again and bake for 5 minutes.
They are ready!
Remove from oven.
This delicious side dish is now ready to serve.
How about serving these yummy carrots with a Whole Roast Chicken?
Other recipes you might like
Faq's and tips
I have used both Honeycrisp (as pictured above) and Gala. They both work well!
Yellow onion is excellent! You can also use red onion.
This recipe is a perfect side dish with white and dark meat chicken. These carrots would also pair well with pork chops or a pork loin.
Absolutely! Maybe add a little extra apple if you like!
Thank you for stopping by and checking out my family’s favorite recipes.
If you tried this recipe for Roasted Carrots with Apple and liked it, please use the stars on the recipe card to rate it. If you have a question or suggestion about this or any other recipe, please leave a comment, and I will respond as soon as possible.
Oven Roasted Carrots with Apple
- 12 ounces Baby Carrots cut lengthwise
- 2 Honeycrisp Apples chopped into ½ inch cubes
- 1 Onion – yellow chopped into ½ cubes
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Dill dried
- ½ teaspoon Paprika
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Maple Syrup
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut the baby carrots lengthwise.
- Slice the apples away from the core and cube the apple into ½ inch cubes.
- Cut off the ends of the onion and remove the peel. Chop the onion into ½ inch cubes.
- Pile the carrots, apples, and onions in the center of a baking sheet. Drizzle with the olive oil, and then sprinkle with the seasonings.
- Mix everything, coating the carrots, apples, and onion well, then spread out as much as possible on the baking sheet
- After roasting for about 10 minutes, stir everything and continue to roast for another 8 - 10 minutes.
- Carefully remove the pan from the oven and push everything towards the center of the baking sheet
- Drizzle the maple syrup over the carrot mixture and mix. Spread out the carrots, apples, and onions again and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve.