This is the best old-fashioned Applesauce Cake Recipe! Moist and delicious, this easy applesauce spice cake can be made with raisins and nuts for added flavor and texture. The warm spices like cinnamon and cloves are perfect for the fall and winter. However, this cake is ideal for any time of the year!
This recipe for applesauce cake is super easy, and if your family enjoys it, please check out my Raw Apple Cake. Both of these cake recipes are from my mom and have stood the test of time.
Table of contents
Preheat the oven and prepare a 13 x 9-inch cake pan or dish by spraying it with non-stick cooking spray.
1 - Whisk together the all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, cloves, and allspice in a medium-sized bowl.
2 - Add the egg, brown sugar, granulated sugar, canola oil, vanilla, and applesauce to a large mixing bowl. Mix until thoroughly blended.
3 - Pour the dry ingredients in with the wet ingredients and mix until the applesauce cake batter is blended.
4 - Pour the mixed cake batter into the prepared baking pan.
5 - Bake the applesauce spice cake until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center of the cake. Let cool.
6 - My cat seems happy with the cake!
Frost the cake if you like. My mom often served it with a dusting of powdered sugar. Cream cheese frosting or plain white frosting goes well with it too!
This is a great recipe to use if your kids are showing an interest in baking. Little ones can help with the measuring and mixing, and older kids can bake this with little guidance. Homemade instead of using a box mix is always fun!
Other recipes you might like
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating on the recipe card below & a review in the comments section further down the page.
Applesauce Cake Recipe
- 2 cups All-purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Cloves
- ¼ teaspoon Allspice
- 1 Egg
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- ½ cup Granulated Sugar
- ½ cup Canola Oil
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 cup Applesauce unsweetened
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, cloves, and allspice.
- In a large bowl beat the egg. Add the sugars, oil, vanilla, and applesauce. Mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix just until blended.
- Pour the batter into a 13" x 9" baking dish that has been sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Bake the cake in a 350-degree oven for 23-28 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cake. Let the cake cool.
- Frost if desired.