For years we have been making ranch dressing from the packet of mix. I wanted to start making my own dressing, with fresh ingredients. As the kids tell me, this Homemade Ranch Dressing is fire!
As a parent, you might able to relate to this. We all know kids can be finicky eaters. Ranch dressing is often something they do like.
Even if they may not be into salad yet, it is great for dipping carrots or other veggies. My kids also liked it with chicken nuggets and still like it as a pizza dipping sauce.
Seriously, nothing beats fresh ingredients. This ranch dressing is bursting with flavor from the fresh onion, garlic, and a mix of spices.
ingredients mixed with buttermilk and mayonnaise makes a delicious homemade ranch dressing.
Other recipes you might like
- Chipotle Ranch Sauce
- Kicked-Up Corn on the Cob
- Lemonade Cake with Marshmallow Frosting
- Easy Smoked Sausage Jambalaya
This dressing recipe is super easy to prepare and can be used right away.
However, the flavor does get better if you put it in the refrigerator for a while, about 30 minutes to an hour, before serving.
- Buttermilk (or milk with lemon)
- Green Onion
- Salt and Pepper
- Cayenne Pepper (optional)
How to prepare
First of all, measure ⅔ cup buttermilk in a 2 cup measuring cup. If you don't have buttermilk, you can use regular milk plus add 3 - 4 teaspoons of lemon juice. I have made it both ways and love it both ways.
Next, add the mayonnaise to the buttermilk until the liquid measures 1 ⅔ cup.
Chop up the green onions into pieces, get 1 clove of garlic ready along with the spices.
You can use a blender, an immersion blender, or a food processor. I use a food processor attachment for my immersion blender.
And yes, I broke the rules and overfilled it. It does dribble a little when I blend it, but this is what works for me.
In the bowl, blender, or food processor container place the milk and mayonnaise, the onion, garlic, parsley, dill, and other spices.
Blend a minute or so, or until the mixture is all creamed together.
Next, you need to pour the Homemade Ranch Dressing into a jar or container for serving and storing. I like using a glass jar with a lid. Serve immediately or wait at least 30 minutes to an hour to get a fuller flavor.
The dressing will probably last about a week, but ours is usually gone way before that.
The kids love the taste of this ranch dressing, and I love the fact that it is so simple to make.
Homemade Ranch Dressing
- blender or food processor
- 1 cup Mayonnaise
- ⅔ cup Buttermilk or milk plus 3 - 4 teaspoons of lemon juice
- 1 clove Fresh Garlic
- 3 Green Onions cut into pieces
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Dill 1 teaspoon if using dried
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Parsley 1 teaspoon if using dried
- ½ teaspoon Salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper or to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper optional, to taste
- Measure buttermilk (or milk and lemon juice) into a 2 cup measuring cup. Add mayonnaise to equal 1 ⅔ cups.
- Place the buttermilk and mayonnaise mixture into a blender or food processor container along with the remaining ingredients. Blend well.
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper if needed. Place the dressing into a jar or other storage container. Refrigerate for an hour before using if desired.
- The dressisng should last up to one week in the refrigerator.
Thank you for stopping by and checking out my family's favorite recipes.
If you tried a recipe and liked it, please use the stars on the above recipe card, or next to the comments below to rate the recipe.
If you have a question or suggestion about a recipe, please leave a reply to this post.
This recipe is adapted from 5 Ingredient Fix.