You can make ranch dressing from scratch, with fresh garden herbs, in about 5 minutes! This Easy Homemade Ranch Dressing recipe is bursting with flavor from the fresh garlic and green onions and herbs like parsley and dill. My kids love this simple recipe!
This ranch dressing with garlic is perfect on a salad, as a dipping sauce for pizza, or a dip for wings. Try this ranch recipe with these BBQ Chicken Wings or on a dinner salad served along side Ground Turkey Spaghetti Sauce. It is much better than most bottled dressing available at grocery stores!
Why we love this recipe
- Fresh ingredients - I use as many fresh ingredients as possible in this ranch salad dressing. The key ingredients are fresh garlic and green onions.
- Quick and easy - You can have fresh homemade ranch dressing in as little as 5 minutes!
- Easy adjustments - I know sometimes we can't always find quality fresh herbs. You can easily substitute the fresh dill weed and fresh parsley with the dried herb versions.
- Kids love it! - Most kids love ranch dressing, and mine are no exception. This was the best ranch dressing recipe to whip up at the last minute to get them to eat salad, dip carrot sticks, or chicken tenders.
This dressing recipe is delicious, super easy to prepare, and can be used right away.
However, the flavor gets even better if you refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Here are the simple ingredients to make this easy ranch dressing.
- First of all, measure ⅔ cup buttermilk in a 2-cup measuring cup. If you don't have buttermilk, you can use regular whole milk, or 2% milk, plus add 3 - 4 teaspoons of lemon juice. I have made it both ways and love it both ways.
- Measure out the buttermilk or milk plus lemon juice, and add about 1 cup of mayonnaise.
- Chop the green onions (using both white and green sections) into pieces, and get one clove of garlic ready along with the spices you will use.
- You can use a blender, immersion blender, or food processor. I use a food processor attachment for my immersion blender.
- In the bowl, blender, or food processor container, place the milk, lemon juice if using, mayonnaise, onion, garlic, parsley, dill, and other spices.
- Blend a minute or so until the mixture is all creamed together.
- Next, you will want to pour the Homemade Ranch Dressing into a jar or container for serving and storing. I like using a glass mason jar with a lid. Serve the ranch dressing immediately or wait, and refrigerate, for at least 30 minutes to an hour for a fuller flavor.
- The dressing will probably last about a week, stored in the refrigerator, but ours usually runs out way before that.
You can easily substitute some sour cream for some of the mayonnaise. That will make the dressing thicker.
I would replace all of the mayonnaise with sour cream and decrease the amount of buttermilk.
I add a little cayenne pepper to my recipe. You can easily adjust the cayenne to your taste. Or, maybe give my Spicy Chipotle Ranch Sauce a try.
Other recipes you might like
Find all my recipes on Pinterest at Cook This Again. Or, on Facebook at Cook This Again.
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating on the recipe card below & a review in the comments section further down the page.
Easy Homemade Ranch Dressing
- blender or food processor
- 1 cup Mayonnaise
- ⅔ cup Buttermilk or milk plus 3 - 4 teaspoons of lemon juice
- 1 clove Fresh Garlic
- 3 Green Onions white and green part cut into pieces
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Dill 1 teaspoon if using dried
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Parsley 1 teaspoon if using dried
- ½ teaspoon Salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper or to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper optional, to taste
- Measure buttermilk (or milk and lemon juice) into a 2 cup measuring cup. Add mayonnaise to equal 1 ⅔ cups.
- Place the buttermilk and mayonnaise mixture into a blender or food processor container along with the remaining ingredients. Blend well.
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper if needed. Place the dressing into a jar or other storage container. Refrigerate for an hour before using if desired.
- The dressing should last up to one week in the refrigerator.
This recipe is adapted from 5 Ingredient Fix.
Leave a Reply