Great flavor, slightly crispy skin, and a super simple recipe. This Simple Grilled Chicken Wings Recipe uses basic spices most of us keep in our pantry, and they are cooked quickly over high heat on a gas grill. Got 30 minutes? Let's make some wings!
Table of contents
Why this recipe works
The best way to grill chicken wings is to keep it simple!
- It's quick - We all love a quick meal or snack. In less than 30 minutes, you can be enjoying some delicious wings.
- Great flavor - Simple is often better. The combination of salt, pepper, garlic, and paprika is all you need, along with the flavor from grilling. Delish!
- Perfect for parties - Gameday, a party, or any get-together. Chicken wings are always a favorite, and since they are so easy to make, you have more time to spend with your family and friends.
Start by preheating the grill on medium-high heat. We cooked these wings at about 425 - 450 degrees F. All grills are different, so keep an eye on the wings, so they don't burn, and always make sure you cook poultry to at least 165 degrees F.
1 - Place the chicken wings in a large bowl. Drizzle the olive oil over the wings and sprinkle with the seasonings.
2 - Using a pair of tongs, thoroughly mix all ingredients until the chicken wings are well coated with the oil and spices.
3 - When the grill is hot, carefully place the wings over direct heat. After about 7 - 8 minutes, they will be ready to turn. The chicken wings should easily release from the grill when they are ready to turn.
4 - Continue to cook the Grilled Chicken Wings for another 7 - 8 minutes. Make sure the wings reach an internal temperature of at least 165 degrees F. We cooked our wings to 180 degrees F. They came out perfectly!
There are a lot of variables here. The size of the wings, the temperature of the grill, etc. Our recipe cooks the chicken wings at reasonably high heat, reaching a temperature of 165 degrees F. in about 20 minutes.
I recommend thawing any frozen chicken before cooking. When the chicken is frozen, you run a risk of hot and cold spots and may end up with overcooked chicken wings or, worse yet, spots of undercooked chicken.
Figure 4 - 6 ounces of chicken wings per person. You may want more if you are serving them as a main meal.
Mix the chicken wings with the olive oil and seasonings in a plastic, zip-loc bag for easy clean-up. The plastic bag method is also excellent if you decide you want to marinate the wings before cooking. Discard the bag after use.
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating on the recipe card below & a review in the comments section further down the page.
Simple Grilled Chicken Wings Recipe
- Gas Grill
- 1 ½ pounds Chicken Wings
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- ¾ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Paprika
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- Preheat the grill to 425 - 450 degrees F.
- Add the chicken wings to a large bowl or Zip-loc bag.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the chicken. Then, sprinkle them with the seasonings.
- Mix well until the chicken wings are completely coated with the oil and spices.
- Carefully, using tongs, lay the chicken wings on the hot grill. Close the lid and cook for about 7 - 8 minutes.
- When the chicken wings have started to brown, turn them over. They should release easily from the grill when they are ready to turn.
- Close the lid and continue to cook the chicken wings for another 7 - 8 minutes.
- The Grilled Chicken Wings are done when they reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.