If you are looking for a super quick dinner to prepare, you might want to give this Simple Turkey Sausage with Pasta a try. Combine some pasta with ground turkey, spices, and tomatoes. Dinner is done before you know it!
An update has been done on this recipe and post from the original version. Changes include more information and tips, along with new photos and step by step instructions. A slight recipe adjustment has been put in the notes of the recipe card.
Other recipes you might like
- Spiced up Ground Turkey Spaghetti Sauce
- Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta
- Chipotle Chili
- Simply Delicious Chocolate Cupcakes
It takes just a few spices to give plain ground turkey the robust flavor of sausage. This is a simple dish that is full of flavor. A perfect busy weeknight dinner.
- Ground Turkey
- Fennel Seed
- Dried Sage
- Dried Thyme
- Garlic Powder
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Salt and Pepper
- Diced Tomatoes
- Olive Oil
- Fresh basil, if desired
- Parmesan cheese, if desired
How to prepare
To make Simple Turkey Sausage with Pasta, start by cooking the pasta and set aside until ready to use.
Heat a skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Drizzle in some olive oil. Add the ground turkey and spices.
Mix the spices into the ground meat while breaking it up into smaller pieces. Continue to cook until the turkey is no longer pink.
Add a can of diced tomatoes to the cooked ground turkey. I personally prefer the fire-roasted tomatoes.
Stir in the tomatoes and heat until warm.
Add the pasta and stir well, heating through and coating the pasta with the sauce. The Simple Turkey Sausage with Pasta is ready to serve. Top with fresh basil and Parmesan cheese if desired.
Recipe tips and adjustments
- You can use plain diced tomatoes or seasoned diced tomatoes. If you are using the already seasoned tomatoes, adjust or omit the Italian seasoning.
- I prefer the fire-roasted tomatoes.
- You can use either one 14.5 ounce size can of tomatoes, or the larger 28-ounce size can if you want more sauce.
- Retain some of the pasta water if you want a little more liquid added. Also, you can drizzle the pasta with a little olive oil when it is finished.
- Topping the pasta with fresh basil and grated Parmesan cheese is a nice addition to this recipe.
Simple Turkey Sausage with Pasta
- 1 pound Ground Turkey
- 1 teaspoon Fennel Seed
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon Sage dried
- 1/2 teaspoon Thyme dried
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
- Pinch Red Pepper Flakes if desired
- 14.5 ounces Diced Tomatoes or more if desired *see notes
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil appx.
- 8 ounces Pasta we used bow-tie
- Grated Parmesan Cheese if desired
- Cook The pasta according to package directions, drain, and set aside.
- Heat a skillet over medium to medium-high heat.
- Drizzle olive oil, about 1 tablespoon into the hot skillet. Add the ground turkey and the spices.
- Using a wooden spoon, mix the spices into the ground meat while breaking it into pieces. Cook the ground turkey until no longer pink.
- Add the diced tomatoes and stir well. Heat through.
- Add the pasta and mix well. Stir until the pasta is well covered with the sauce and is heated through. Drizzle with more olive oil if desired.
- Top with Parmesan cheese and serve.
Thank you for stopping by and checking out my family’s favorite recipes.
If you tried a recipe and liked it, please use the stars on the above recipe card, or next to the comments below to rate the recipe.
If you have a question or suggestion about a recipe, please leave a reply to this post.