When he was younger, this was my son's favorite pasta dish. Pasta with Veggies and Smoked Sausage. We love to have this dish on warm summer evenings. This recipe is light and quick to put together.
This time of year, down at our local fruit and vegetable stand, they have an abundance of fresh Roma tomatoes, fragrant red onions, and delicious zucchini. Add some fresh basil, parmesan, and a little turkey smoked sausage and you have an awesome dinner.
This recipe post was updated in June 2021.
- Smoked Sausage - I like to use turkey smoked sausage, but you could use any kielbasa or smoked sausage. I have also used jalapeno sausage to spice things ups a bit.
- Tomatoes - Roma tomatoes work great in this recipe. But of course, you can use what is available where you are.
- Red Onion - If you need an alternative to red onion, I would suggest using white onions in this recipe.
- Zucchini - One medium or two small should be enough.
- Cooked Pasta - Use your favorite. I usually use Penne, but on this day all I had available was the large shells.
- Fresh Basil - I wouldn't substitute this ingredient, but if you don't care for basil, leave it out. You could always add a bit of parsley for the added freshness that herbs.
- Parmesan Cheese - This is optional, but it adds a nice finishing touch.
- Olive Oil - I use this to cook the sausage and veggies in, and I add a bit more when I mix in the cooked pasta.
- Fresh Garlic - two cloves, four cloves, more... I won't judge.
- Salt - Pepper - Red Pepper Flakes - season it up!
How to prepare this recipe
Start by cooking the pasta. Once it is ready, drain it and set it aside. This way you can use the same pot to cook the veggies in.
While the pasta is cooking, prep all your ingredients. Slice up the smoked sausage, dice the tomatoes, chop the onion, and cut up the zucchini. You can either chop or mince the garlic (I usually do a rough chop). Cut or rip the basil into strips.
Heat up the pan over medium heat. Add some olive oil, sausage, onion, and zucchini. Cook for several minutes or until the onion has softened and the zucchini is fork-tender.
Season the mixture with some salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and garlic. Stir and cook for about 30 seconds.
Turn off the heat and add the tomatoes, basil, cooked pasta, and another drizzle of olive oil. Stir to combine.
Serve the Pasta with Veggies and Smoked Sausage topped with Parmesan cheese and extra basil if desired.
That's it. A delicious, simple, pasta and sausage dinner recipe.
Other recipes you might like
Find all my recipes on Pinterest at Cook This Again. Or, on Facebook at Cook This Again
Thank you for stopping by and checking out my family’s favorite recipes.
If you tried this recipe for the homemade Pasta with Veggies and Smoked Sausage and you liked it, please use the recipe card’s stars to rate the recipe. If you have a question or suggestion about this or any other recipe, please leave a comment, and I will respond as soon as possible.
Pasta with Veggies and Smoked Sausage
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 cup Red Onion chopped
- 2 cups Roma Tomatoes diced
- 3 Garlic Cloves chopped or minced
- 1 cup Zucchini sliced
- ½ cup Basil chopped
- 13 ounces Turkey Smoked Sausage sliced
- ¼ cup Parmesan Cheese shredded
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 8 ounces Pasta cooked
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat up the pan over medium heat. Add some olive oil, sausage, onion, and zucchini. Cook for several minutes or until the onion has softened and the zucchini is fork-tender.
- Season the mixture with some salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and garlic. Stir and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Turn off the heat and add the tomatoes, basil, cooked pasta, and another drizzle of olive oil. Stir to combine.
- Serve the Pasta with Veggies and Smoked Sausage topped with Parmesan cheese and extra basil if desired.
Leave a Reply