Simple Tiramisu Cupcakes with Mascarpone Frosting. Yummy coffee cupcakes with a fluffy and creamy frosting. Delicious! Light and fluffy, and not overly sweet. The best part... they are so easy to make.
Table of contents
This recipe post was updated in July of 2020 with new pictures.
These coffee cupcakes were one of the first recipes I put on my blog, and to this day, it is still a family favorite treat.
Ingredients needed for this recipe
To make these Simple Tiramisu Cupcakes with Mascarpone Frosting you will need,
- White cake mix
- Instant coffee or pre-made strong coffee
- Ingredients listed on cake mix box (eggs and oil)
- Heavy whipping cream
- Powdered sugar
- Cocoa powder
How to make the cupcakes
Start with your favorite box cake mix for a white cake. Follow the directions on the box on how to prepare the batter, except you want to use Strong Coffee in place of the water. You can use already made coffee or instant coffee. I have used both regular instant and instant espresso powder. I prefer the espresso powder myself.
Here is how I like to prepare the coffee. I start with a 2 cup measuring cup, I then add about ¼ cup of hot water (or heat the water in the microwave), and then stir in the instant coffee. I like to use about 2 heaping teaspoons of the coffee granules.
When the coffee has dissolved, I then add the remaining amount of water as per the box of cake mix. Basically, use very strong coffee instead of water.
After the batter is mixed, the next step is to fill the muffin tins. A regular ice cream scoop works great for this. You should get between 22 - 24 cupcakes. Follow the package directions for temperature and time to bake.
How to make the frosting
When the cupcakes are done baking, set them on a rack to cool. We can now start the frosting.
Using the electric mixer, thoroughly blend together the Mascarpone with the powdered sugar until creamy.
Add the heavy whipping cream and beat until light and fluffy and so that the frosting holds its shape. This will take a couple of minutes.
I like to use a large cookie scoop to frost these cupcakes. It is quick and easy, and it gives a nice textured top for sprinkling the cocoa powder on.
Sprinkle the tops of the cupcakes with a little cocoa powder. I put a small amount of cocoa into a mini strainer and tap it lightly over the frosted cupcakes. And before you know it, someone will be grabbing one!
Store these cupcakes in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
Thank you for stopping by and checking out my family's favorite recipes.
If you tried this recipe for Graham Cracker Crack and liked it, please use the stars on the recipe card to rate it. If you have a question or suggestion about this recipe, please leave a comment, and I will respond as soon as possible.
Simple Tiramisu Cupcakes with Mascarpone and Whipped Cream Frosting
- Electric mixer
- 1 box White Cake Mix * See note below
- 3 Eggs per my box of cake mix
- ½ cup Canola Oil as per my box of cake mix
- 2 teaspoons Espresso Powder** or Instant Coffee Powder** or pre-made strong coffee to equal water needed for the box mix ** See note below
- 8 ounces Mascarpone Cheese softened
- ¼ cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- Cocoa Powder to top cupcakes
To make the cupcakes
- (a) Make the strong coffee and set aside. The amount of coffee needs to equal the amount of water called for on the cake mix package. *OR* (b) Mix 2 heaping teaspoons of Espresso Powder or Instant Coffee Powder in a small amount of hot water to dissolve. Then add water to equal the amount of water called for on the box cake mix.
- Prepare the cupcake batter by mixing the cake mix, eggs, oil, and the prepared coffee (in place of water) as per the instructions on the cake mix box.
- Using an ice cream scoop fill the cupcake tins that have been lined with cupcake papers.
- Bake the coffee cupcakes per the instructions on the cake mix package.
- Cool the cupcakes on a rack and make the frosting.
To make the frosting
- Place the Marscapone and powdered sugar in a mixing bowl. Using the electric mixer, blend until creamy.
- Add the heavy cream and continue to mix until the frosting gets fluffy and starts to hold its shape. This will take a couple of minutes.
- Frost the cupcakes. Sprinkle a little bit of cocoa powder over the tops of the frosted cupcakes.
- Store these Tiramisu Cupcakes with Mascarpone Frosting in the refrigerator.