Did you know that making a homemade Fresh Apricot Pie can be really easy? This recipe is my final and our favorite version after a couple of years of trying slightly different variations. It was an experiment I was more than happy to indulge in.
To make this as simple as possible, I use the store-bought pie crust. Do you know the kind that comes rolled up in the box? It works perfectly. Of course, you can always make your own. Please check out my recipe here for Buttery Pie Crust or use your favorite recipe.
We are super lucky to have our own apricot tree. I have had a love of apricots since I was a child. My grandmother had a large tree and she would give away bags of fruit every year. Our dwarf tree doesn't produce as much as hers did, and the squirrels make sure to get their share, but we still get enough fruit for a few wonderful weeks.
Other recipes you might like...
Let's make some pie!
First, start by washing the apricots. I have never weighed the apricots before making this pie, but I imagine you will need about 2 pounds. This homemade fruit pie recipe uses between 5 and 6 cups of fresh apricots. I believe you will need a total of about 30 - 36 apricots, depending on the size of course. And maybe a few more if you like to snack while you bake.
To make the filling
Split the apricots in half, remove the seed and place the fruit in a measuring cup. Measure 5 - 6 cups of fruit and add the apricot halves to a large bowl. Next, prepare the filling by mixing together the apricots, sugar, flour, lemon juice, nutmeg, and vanilla. Mix well. That's it for the filling. Set it aside while we prepare the pie crust.
The lattice topping
The next thing you need to do is prepare the pie crust. Place the first shell in a 9-inch pie dish. Take the second piece of dough and place it on the cutting board. Using a sharp knife, cut the dough into strips.
Now, you need to place the apricot mixture into the pie shell.
Next, it is time to do the latticework. Put one of the strips down the center of the pie, then take another strip and place it crossways across the center going in the opposite direction. Keep adding strips of the pie shell, lifting and weaving the strips as needed to create the lattice pattern.
Crimp together the bottom shell with the strips of dough. Sprinkle lightly with about a teaspoon or so of sugar. (If you prefer, you can make a 2 crust pie. Place second crust over the apricots and remember to cut a few steam holes in the top.)
Now it is time to bake the Fresh Apricot Pie! Bake the pie in a 400-degree oven for about 45 minutes until golden brown.
Let cool and enjoy your homemade fruit pie! Delicious.
Fresh Apricot Pie
- 5 - 6 cups Fresh Apricots
- 1 cup Sugar
- ⅓ cup All-purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- ⅛ teaspoon Nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 teaspoon Sugar to sprinkle on pie before baking
- Wash and let dry about 2 pounds of apricots.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Split the fresh apricots in half and measure out about 5 to 6 cups. Put the apricot halves in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the sugar, flour, lemon juice, nutmeg and vanilla to the apricot halves. Mix well. Set aside.
- Place one pie shell in a 9" baking dish. On a cutting board, slice the other pie shell into strips.
- Pour the fresh apricot pie filling into the baking dish.
- For the lattice, place one of the strips down the center of the pie, then take another strip and place it across the center going in the opposite direction. Keep adding strips of the pie shell, weaving as needed to create the lattice pattern. (If you prefer, you can make a 2 crust pie. Place second crust over the apricots and remember to cut a few steam holes in the top.)
- Crimp together the bottom shell with the strips of dough. Sprinkle lightly with about a teaspoon or so of sugar.
- Bake the Fresh Apricot Pie for about 45 minutes until golden brown. Cool and enjoy!
View the web story for Fresh Apricot Pie.