Made from corn tortilla, Homemade Tortilla Chips are a delicious and easy-to-make snack. They can be seasoned according to your personal taste. Prepare these tortilla chips by frying in oil, baking in the oven, or in the air fryer.
Why we like this recipe
This recipe is the perfect treat to go with our amazing homemade guacamole.
We can adjust the seasonings and flavors to our liking and mood at the time.
We can control the amount of oil when we cook them in the air fryer.
Tip: If you would prefer to air fry these tortilla chips, cook them for 5 - 8 minutes at 350 degrees. Stir at least once during the cooking time and do not overload the basket.
- Add other seasonings if desired. Smokey paprika is great for color and adds a delicious smokey flavor.
- If you decide to bake the homemade tortillas, brush them with vegetable oil, or use cooking spray.
Step-by-Step Recipe Directions
Heat a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat and add the oil to 2 inches in depth. Heat the oil to 350F.
Tip: If you plan to bake or air fry the tortilla chips, try brushing the corn tortillas with oil before cutting them into triangles.
Use a sharp knife to cut each tortilla into 8 wedges.
Fry the corn tortilla triangles in small batches until lightly browned, flipping once during the frying.
Remove and drain the freshly made tortilla chips on paper towels, then sprinkle with salt. Repeat the process until all of the chips are fried.
Cool slightly before serving.
Tip: The chips keep well in zip-loc bags at room temperature for up to three days.
Other recipes you might like
Do you love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating on the recipe card below & a review in the comments section further down the page.
Homemade Tortilla Chips
- 8 corn tortillas
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- Use a sharp knife to cut each tortilla into 8 triangles.
- Heat a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat and add the oil to 2-inches in depth. Heat the oil to 350F.
- Fry the tortilla wedges in small batches until lightly browned, flipping once during the frying. Remove and drain on paper towels, then sprinkle with salt. Repeat the process until all of the chips are fried.
- Brush the tortillas with oil.
- Bake the chips, in a single layer, in the oven at 350 degrees.
- Watch the chips closely and cook until golden brown. Stir at least once while they are cooking.
For the air fryer
- Preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees.
- Brush the tortillas with oil. Put the chips in the air fryer basket and cook for 5 - 8 minutes until golden brown.
- Stir the chips 1 to 2 times while they cook. Do not overload the air fryer basket.
- Cool the tortilla chips slightly before serving.