We may earn money or products from the companies and/or linked items in this post.
This chili has a little bit of heat and a little bit of smokiness. When I sampled it I thought for sure that I would have to fix my daughter something else for dinner, but she said she wanted to try it. I knew this recipe for Chipotle Chili was a keeper when she asked for seconds.
We like to top our chili with red onion and shredded cheese. However, this chili has plenty of flavor and the extra toppings are not a necessity!
Other recipes you might enjoy…
I have made this recipe with both Chipotle Chili Powder and Chipotle Peppers with Adobo Sauce. Both versions are very good, but I think I like the Chipotle Peppers with Adobo Sauce a little bit more.
Heat up a large pan over medium heat.
Add the ground beef, onion, and green bell pepper.
When the ground beef is cooked and the veggies are tender, drain off any excess fat.
Add the spices and stir well. Let this cook for a minute or two before proceeding.
Now you will add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and a bit of sugar. Turn down the heat and let the Chipotle Chili simmer for awhile. You can do this for just 10 minute, or over an hour, it is up to you. Just keep an eye on the pot and give it a stir every now and then.
Get ready to eat!
Finally, since my son doesn’t like beans, at this point I divide the pot of chili up and then I add beans for the rest of us. Let the beans heat through and it is ready to serve!
Shred some cheese, chop some red onion, and slice some french bread if you like. No doubt this will fill you up. Yum!
With a little bit of heat and a touch of smokiness, this Chipotle Chili is simple to prepare and guaranteed to warm you up on a cool day.
1-1/2 pounds Ground Beef
1 Onion, chopped
1 Green Bell Pepper, chopped
1/4 teaspoon of Red Chile flakes
1 teaspoon Chipotle Chili Powder OR 1 chopped Chipotle Pepper with about 1 teaspoon of adobo sauce (adjust to taste)
2 Tablespoons Chili Powder
1/2 teaspoon Cumin
2 teaspoons chopped Garlic
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 cans Diced Tomatoes*
2 cans Tomato Sauce
A bit of sugar, 1 -2 teaspoons, to taste
1 -2 cans Beans (we use black beans)
Red Onion, optional
Heat a large pan over medium heat. Brown the ground beef with the chopped onion and bell pepper. Drain off the excess fat if necessary.
Add the red chile flakes, Chipotle Powder or Chipotle pepper with adobo sauce, cumin, chili powder, garlic, salt, and pepper. Stir and cook a minute or two to bring out all the flavor in the spices.
Next, add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and sugar. Lower the temperature and simmer for a while. The sauce will thicken up as it cooks. Add the beans if you are using them and heat through.
Serve with your favorite toppings.
*I have used both plain and fire-roasted diced tomatoes. The fire-roasted will add a bit more heat and smokiness, so you might want to adjust spices accordingly.
- 1 1/2 pounds Ground Beef
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1 Green Bell Pepper chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon of Red Chile flakes
- 1 teaspoon Chipotle Chili Powder OR 1 chopped Chipotle Pepper with about 1 teaspoon of adobo sauce adjust to taste
- 2 Tablespoons Chili Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin
- 2 teaspoons chopped Garlic
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 cans Diced Tomatoes*
- 2 cans Tomato Sauce
- A bit of sugar 1 -2 teaspoons, to taste
- 1 -2 cans Beans we use black beans
- Cheese optional
- Red Onion optional
- Heat a large pan over medium heat. Brown the ground beef with the chopped onion and bell pepper. Drain off the excess fat if necessary.
- Add the red chile flakes, Chipotle Powder or Chipotle pepper with adobo sauce, cumin, chili powder, garlic, salt, and pepper. Stir and cook a minute or two to bring out all the flavor in the spices.
- Next, add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and sugar. Lower the temperature and simmer for a while. The sauce will thicken up as it cooks. Add the beans if you are using them and heat through.
- Serve with your favorite toppings.
Thank you for stopping by and checking out my family’s favorite recipes. If you tried a recipe and liked it, please use the stars on the above recipe card, or next to the comments below to rate the recipe. If you have a question or suggestion about a recipe, please leave a reply to this post.
Sign up for our mailing list…