This Ground Turkey Chipotle Chili has a little bit of heat and a little bit of smokiness. When I sampled it, I thought for sure that I would have to fix my daughter something else for dinner, but she said she wanted to try it. I knew this recipe was a keeper when she asked for seconds.
This post was updated in November of 2020. It was nice to find out after all these years that my picky eater daughter still enjoys this recipe!
We like to top our chili with red onion and shredded cheese. However, this chili is loaded with flavor, and the extra toppings are not a necessity!
Other recipes you might enjoy
- Olive Oil
- Ground Turkey or Ground Beef
- Green Bell Pepper
- Chili Powder
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Chipotle Pepper with Adobo Sauce or Chipotle Chili Powder
- Chopped Garlic
- Diced Tomatoes
- Tomato Sauce
- Black Beans
- Red or Green Onion (optional)
- Shredded Cheese (optional)
I have made this recipe with both Chipotle Chili Powder and Chipotle Peppers with Adobo Sauce. Both versions are delicious, but I think I like the Chipotle Peppers with Adobo Sauce a little bit more.
How to prepare this recipe
For this recipe, you can either use ground beef or ground turkey. If you are using ground turkey, you will want to add a drizzle of olive oil to the pan.
Heat a large pan over medium to medium-high heat if you use ground turkey drizzle in about 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the meat, chopped onion, and chopped green bell pepper.
Cook, stir and crumble until the meat is completely cooked. At this point, you can drain off any excess grease if necessary.
Next, add the red pepper flakes, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, and chipotle pepper with the adobo sauce.
Stir the chili to mix in the spices and let them warm up for a moment or two.
Now you will add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and a bit of sugar. Turn down the heat and let the Chipotle Chili simmer for awhile.
You can do this for just 10 minutes, or over an hour, it is up to you. Just keep an eye on the pot and stir it now and then.
Finally, add some black beans to the Chipotle Chili. Heat for a few minutes until the beans are warm.
Shred some cheese, chop some red onion and/or green onion, and slice some french bread if you like. No doubt this will fill you up. Yum!
This Ground Turkey Chipotle Chili is simple to prepare, and because of the little bit of heat and a touch of smokiness, it is guaranteed to warm you up on a cool day.
Ground Turkey Chipotle Chili
To make the chili
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 pound Ground Turkey or ground beef
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1 Green Bell Pepper chopped
- ¼ teaspoon of Red Pepper flakes
- 1 Chipotle Pepper with about 1 teaspoon of adobo sauce or 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 2 tablespoons Chili Powder
- ½ teaspoon Cumin
- 2 teaspoons Garlic chopped
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Pepper
- 15 ounces Diced Tomatoes canned
- 28 ounces Tomato Sauce canned
- 2 teaspoons Sugar
- 15 ounces Black Beans or beans of your choice
- Cheese optional
- Red Onion optional
- Green Onions optional
- Heat a large pan over medium heat.
- If using ground turkey, drizzle the pan with olive oil.
- Add the ground meat, onion, and green bell pepper. Cook and stir until the meat is completely cooked.
- Drain off any excess grease if necessary.
- Add the red pepper flakes, Chipotle Powder, or Chipotle pepper with adobo sauce, cumin, chili powder, garlic, salt, and pepper. Stir and cook a minute or two to bring out all the flavor in the spices.
- Next, add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and sugar. Stir well. Reduce the temperature and simmer for a while. The sauce will thicken up as it cooks.
- Add the beans if you are using them and heat through.
- Serve with your favorite toppings.
Thank you for stopping by and checking out my family's favorite recipes.
If you tried this recipe For Ground Turkey Chipotle Chili and liked it, please use the stars on the above recipe card to rate it. If you have a question or suggestion about this or any other recipe, please leave a comment, and I will respond as soon as possible.