Fresh zucchini, yellow squash, shredded cheese, and a little seasoning are the basic ingredients used in this Simple Cheesy Zucchini and Yellow Squash Casserole. This super-easy, 30-minute side dish recipe is topped with a golden, crisp panko crumb topping.
Are you wondering what to make with all that fresh zucchini and fresh yellow squash that seems to be available every year? They grow easily and are commonly found in many people's summertime gardens. This delicious zucchini gratin is something the whole family and even picky eaters will enjoy.
This easy zucchini casserole would go perfectly served alongside pork chops or chicken coated with this Homemade Shake and Bake (copycat) Recipe.
You can make this effortless cheesy squash side dish with these simple ingredients. Plus, you can easily switch up the ingredients, like the type of squash, cheese, or the seasoning used, to make this recipe work perfectly for your family.
- Zucchini & Yellow Squash - I used two medium zucchinis and one large yellow squash. You can easily use any combination of the two (or just one) to make this easy recipe.
- Shredded Cheese - I used the Sargento Aged Italian Blend for the cheese. You could easily substitute cheddar cheese or any cheese that your family loves.
- Panko Crumbs - Just plain panko crumbs or try some Ritz Crackers!
- Garlic Seasoning - I like the salt-free version, or use Italian seasoning instead.
How to make this easy recipe
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Wash, drain, and dry off the squash.
If you are not using shredded cheese already, shred some now. You will need 4 - 6 ounces, depending on your taste.
Slice the squash into ½" rounds. Spray a baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Add the zucchini and yellow squash to the casserole dish and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt, black pepper, and garlic seasoning. Toss together until everything is coated well.
Place the squash mixture in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven.
Top the partially cooked squash with shredded cheese and panko crumbs. Return the squash casserole to the oven and continue to bake until the cheese is melted and the topping is golden brown. In about 8 to 10 minutes the Simple Cheesy Zucchini and Yellow Squash Casserole will be done!
I know that heating up the oven in the summertime can be dreadful. When I baked this cheesy squash pictured above, I used my countertop 10-in-1 unit. It worked perfectly since this isn't a huge casserole dish. I still baked it at 425 degrees F and for the time noted in the recipe.
This recipe is perfect for
Fix this simple zucchini casserole for
- A summertime side dish.
- A side dish served at a BBQ or get-together.
- Since your local grocery store probably carries squash year-round, this would also make a perfect side dish for Thanksgiving or Christmas.
Find all my recipes on Pinterest at Cook This Again. Or on Facebook at Cook This Again.
Other recipes you might like
Thank you for stopping by and checking out my family's favorite recipes.
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating on the recipe card below & a review in the comments section further down the page.
Simple Cheesy Zucchini and Yellow Squash
- 2 cups Zucchini sliced
- 2 cups Yellow Squash sliced
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Seasoning sodium-free
- 6 ounces Cheese shredded
- ½ cup Panko Crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Wash, drain, and dry off the squash.
- If you are not using shredded cheese already, shred some now. You will need 4 - 6 ounces, depending on your taste.
- Slice the squash into ½" rounds. Spray a baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add the zucchini and yellow squash to the casserole dish and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt, black pepper, and garlic seasoning. Toss together until the squash is coated well with the olive oil and seasoning.
- Place the squash mixture in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- Top the partially cooked squash with shredded cheese and panko crumbs. Return the squash casserole to the oven and continue to bake until the cheese is melted and the topping is golden brown. About 8 to 10 minutes.
- If you prefer, use all zucchini or all yellow squash.
- Instead of garlic seasoning, try Italian Seasoning.
- Use your favorite type of cheese. I know kids usually prefer cheddar cheese. Adding a little bit of Parmesan cheese would be great too!
- Instead of panko, try crushed Ritz crackers.
I make a version of this all the time with an addition of chopped fresh tomatoes and fresh garlic. Everyone loves it and it's so good for you.