This recipe for Chocolate Banana Muffins is one of our favorite recipes to use up those 'extra ripe' bananas. Since they are made with honey instead of sugar they are a guiltless way to have a chocolaty snack. (Unless of course, you add the handful of chocolate chips like I often do)
Moist, light, and very tasty.
Other recipes you might like
- Pineapple Nut Muffins
- Chocolate Tofu Pie
- Hummingbird Cake
- Lemonade Cake with Marshmallow Frosting
- Molasses Bran Muffins
- Buttermilk or milk
- Canola oil
- All-purpose flour
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Chocolate chips (optional)
How to prepare
To make the Chocolate Banana Muffins, mash up some bananas. The recipe calls for 1 ½ cups. I don't always measure, but I find that 3 bananas are usually the perfect amount. Mash them a little if you like bits of banana or mash them a lot for a creamier base.
Add the egg, oil, buttermilk, and vanilla. I usually do not have buttermilk on hand. An easy alternative is to use milk, mixed with a bit of lemon juice or vinegar. You will notice the milk starts to thicken up as it sours. I used about 1 teaspoon of lemon juice to ¼ cup of milk.
In a separate bowl add the flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon and whisk together.
Add the flour mixture to the liquids and stir. At this point, you can add and handful of chocolate chips if desired. I made mini muffins this time, so I am also using the mini chips.
Coat a muffin pan with non-stick spray. I am using a cookie scoop to put the muffin batter in the pan. Use an ice cream scoop if you are using a regular size muffin pan. Put the Chocolate Banana Muffins in the oven and bake. Mini muffins take 10-12 minutes. Regular muffins will take 15-18 minutes. The recipe yields about 12 regular muffins and 24 - 30 mini muffins.
Let the Chocolate Banana Muffins cool a minute, then remove muffins from pan and cool on a rack.
Chocolate Banana Muffins
- 1 ½ cups Bananas mashed (about 3 bananas)
- ¼ cup Buttermilk or Milk
- 1 large Egg or 2 small
- 2 tablespoons of Oil
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- ⅓ cup Honey
- 1 ¼ cups Flour
- ¼ cup Unsweetened Cocoa
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ cup Mini Chocolate Chips if desired
- Mash the bananas and add the buttermilk or milk, egg, oil, vanilla, and honey. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the banana mixture and stir just until blended. Stir in chips if desired.
- Scoop into muffin pans that have been coated with non-stick spray.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven. 10-12 minutes for mini muffins, and 15-18 minutes for regular muffins. They are done when you insert a toothpick and it comes out clean.
- Cool slightly, then remove from pans and finish cooling on a rack.