This easy recipe for Chocolate Banana Muffins is one of our favorite recipes to use up extra ripe bananas. These yummy muffins are made with honey. No sugar is added unless, of course, you decide to add a handful of chocolate chips (like I usually do!).
- Bananas - over ripe bananas work best. This recipes takes about 3 large bananas.
- Honey - honey is used in place of granulated sugar.
- Chocolate Chips - are completely optional, but we love them. I prefer the mini chocolate chips, but you can also use the regular size, or slightly chop them before using.
How to prepare these muffins
First of all, mash up some bananas. I like to do this right in the measuring cup. It will take about three large bananas. Mash them a little if you like bits of banana, or mash them a lot for a creamier base.
In a large bowl, beat an egg, then add the bananas, milk, canola oil, honey, and vanilla. Mix well.
Mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a separate bowl. Add these ingredients to the wet ingredients along with the cocoa powder. Stir until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips if you are using them.
Line a muffin pan with muffin papers or spray the pan with non-stick spray. Add the chocolate banana muffin batter to the pan with an ice cream scoop or a measuring cup. You will have enough batter for 12 muffins.
Bake the muffins for 16 - 20 minutes. If you are making mini-muffins, bake them for 12 - 14 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the center of one of the muffins will come out clean when they are finished baking.
Let the muffins cool and serve.
Store the muffins in a plastic container or a Zip-loc bag. They will store nicely on the counter for 2 - 3 days.
Other recipes you might like
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating on the recipe card below & a review in the comments section further down the page.
Chocolate Banana Muffins
- 1 Egg large
- 1 ½ cups Bananas mashed (about 3 bananas)
- ¼ cup Milk or buttermilk
- ⅓ cup Honey
- 2 tablespoons Canola Oil
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- ¼ cup Baking Cocoa Powder
- 1 ¼ cups All-purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ cup Mini Chocolate Chips if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, beat an egg.
- Add the milk, canola oil, vanilla, and honey. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the banana mixture and stir just until blended. Stir in the chocolate chips if you are using them.
- Scoop the muffin batter into a muffin pan that has been coated with non-stick spray or lined with muffin papers.
- Bake the muffins for 16 - 20 minutes. The muffins are done when you insert a toothpick in the center of one of the muffins and it comes out clean.
- Cool slightly, then remove the muffins from pans and finish cooling on a rack.