My daughter and I started making this easy chocolate muffin recipe years ago. Chocolate Espresso Muffins uses simple ingredients, are easy to make, and taste delicious. They are a great way to start the day or a perfect afternoon pick-me-up.
This post was updated in December 2021 with new photos and tips and suggestions about the recipe.
A cup of coffee, or a glass of milk, one of these yummy easy chocolate muffins, and you are ready to go!
These simple coffee muffins use Greek yogurt, cocoa powder, and instant coffee. I have used both instant espresso granules and a regular, but strong instant coffee. You can also, omit using the milk, and use leftover strong coffee that you brewed yourself.
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Instant coffee
- Canola oil
- Greek yogurt
- Chocolate chips
Find ingredient amounts and complete directions for these Chocolate Espresso Muffins in the printable recipe card below.
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a muffin pan with paper liners or use non-stick spray for easier clean-up.
In a medium or a large mixing bowl, add the all-purpose flour, sugar, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and instant coffee. Whisk the dry ingredients together until combined.
Next, add the eggs, Greek yogurt, milk, canola oil, and vanilla. Starting with the eggs, use the whisk to blend all of the ingredients together to make the chocolate coffee batter.
Add the chocolate muffin batter to the lined muffin tin cups. Using an ice cream scoop makes this job a lot easier. Each cup should be about ⅔ to ¾ full.
Take a small handful of chocolate chips and top each muffin. I have dusted my chocolate chips with some unsweetened cocoa powder for just a touch more chocolate flavor. Use as many or as few chips as you like, or you can leave them off if you prefer.
Bake the muffins for 15-20, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Mine took about 16 minutes on this day.
Other recipes you might like
Tips and suggestions
For the coffee or espresso
I have used instant espresso and instant coffee in a strong dark roast for the coffee flavor. I like using instant coffee, so you can easily make it as strong as you want. I usually use two plus teaspoons full.
You can use instant coffee in two ways. First, add the instant coffee granules directly to the recipe, as shown in this recipe. Or, add it to ½ cup of hot water to make a strong coffee, let it cool and then add it to the batter with the rest of the wet ingredients.
Remember to omit the milk if you use water or add already brewed coffee.
You can also use strong brewed coffee or espresso in these easy chocolate muffins.
For the cocoa
Use your favorite brand of unsweetened cocoa powder for baking. I have used and love Hershey's Special Dark Dutch Cocoa in this recipe. Yum!
Chocolate chip topping
For something a little extra, lightly dust the chocolate chips with some unsweetened cocoa powder.
How to store the chocolate muffins
I usually put the muffins in a Zip-loc bag and leave them on the counter. In my house, 12 muffins are typically gone within 48 hours. You can also use a covered plastic storage container.
Thank you for stopping by and checking out my family's favorite recipes.
If you tried this recipe for easy chocolate muffins and liked it, please use the star rating on the recipe card to rate it. If you have a question or suggestion about this or any other recipe, please leave a comment, and I will respond as soon as possible.
Chocolate Espresso Muffins
- 1 ½ cups All-purpose flour
- ½ cup Sugar
- ¼ cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder I like Dark Cocoa
- 2 ½ teaspoons Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons Instant coffee use more or less to taste
- ¼ cup Canola Oil
- ½ cup Greek Yogurt Vanilla
- ½ cup Milk
- 2 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- ¼ cup Chocolate Chips optional
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare muffin pan with paper liners or spray with non-stick spray.
- In a medium or a large mixing bowl, add the all-purpose flour, sugar, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and instant coffee. Whisk the dry ingredients together until combined.
- Next, add the eggs, Greek yogurt, milk, canola oil, and vanilla. Starting with the eggs, use the whisk to blend all of the ingredients together to make the chocolate coffee batter.
- Add the batter to the lined muffin tin cups. Using an ice cream scoop makes this job a lot easier. Each cup should be about ⅔ to ¾ full.
- Bake muffins in a 350 degree F oven for 15-20 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of one of the muffins.