Using fresh broccoli and simple ingredients, this recipe for Broccoli Cheese Soup is sure to warm you up on those cold fall and winter days.
Honestly, though, cheesy soup is good any time of the year! Whenever my husband and I are at a restaurant that serves Broccoli Cheese Soup, we order it. I am so happy that I finally have a recipe that we both love. Nothing beats a good bowl of homemade broccoli cheese soup made from scratch.
Ingredients needed for broccoli and cheddar soup
To make this Simple Broccoli Cheese Soup you will need,
- Olive Oil
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Salt and Black Pepper
- All-purpose Flour
- Chicken Broth or Vegetable Broth
- Whole Milk
- Half 'n' Half
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Faq's and tips
There are a lot of options! Some simple saltines or butter crackers are always good. Thinly sliced baguette with butter. A small side salad (you can give my homemade ranch dressing a try). Or, if you are really hungry, make a delicious turkey sandwich on some sourdough. Yum!
You can omit the half 'n half and increase the amount of milk if you prefer.
Other soup and broccoli recipes you might like
How to make this cheesy soup
To start, chop up some onion, carrots, and broccoli florets.
Heat a large pan over medium heat. Add the butter and olive oil.
When the butter has melted, add the fresh broccoli florets, onion, and carrots along with the garlic, red pepper flakes, salt, and black pepper.
Stir well, then cover and cook for about 8 - 10 minutes, until the veggies are tender but not mushy.
Next, you need to add the flour. Stir and cook the flour with the veggies for about 1 minute. Slowly, mix in the chicken or vegetable broth and stir well.
Add the milk and half 'n half plus a dash of nutmeg if you like. Bring the Broccoli Cheese Soup to a simmer and cook for a few minutes. Sample for seasoning and adjust the salt and black pepper if necessary.
Finally, add the shredded cheese and stir until the cheese has melted. The Simple Broccoli Cheese Soup is now ready to serve.
We have used both sharp and medium cheddar cheese. Both are delicious.
You can use an immersion blender if you want a creamier soup.
Yum! Serve this soup with your favorite crackers or a nice baguette. Enjoy!
Simple Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 cup Onion finely chopped
- 1 cup Carrots sliced or chopped
- 3 cups Broccoli chopped
- ¼ teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 cloves Garlic chopped
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- ¼ cup All-pupose Flour
- 14.5 ounce Chicken Broth or Vegetable Broth (1 can)
- 2 cups Whole Milk
- 1 cup Half ‘n’ Half
- Dash Nutmeg if desired
- 4 ounces Cheddar Cheese shredded
- Add the butter and olive oil to a large pot that has been warmed over medium heat.
- Add the broccoli, onion, and carrots along with the garlic, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Stir well.
- Cover and cook for 8 – 10 minutes until the vegetable mixture is tender, but not mushy.
- Add the flour to the vegetable mixture and cook for about 1 minute, stirring often.
- Slowly add the chicken stock. Stir or whisk well and make sure that the flour has mixed in properly.
- Add the milk, half ‘n half, and nutmeg. Bring the soup to a simmer and let cook for several minutes.
- Sample for seasoning and adjust to taste.
- Finally, add the shredded cheese and stir until the cheese has melted. The Broccoli Cheese Soup is ready to serve. Enjoy!
Thank you for stopping by and checking out my family’s favorite recipes.
If you tried this recipe for Simple Broccoli Cheese Soup and liked it, please use the above recipe card’s stars to rate the recipe. If you have a question or suggestion about this or any other recipe, please leave a comment, and I will respond as soon as possible.