My husband, who is a huge fan of Corn on the Cob, decided one day to try what he calls Kicked-Up Corn on the Cob made with a BBQ spice blend. He has always been a salt and butter only type of guy, but after seeing so many pictures of spiced up corn going through his Instagram feed, he decided to give it a try. The rest of us can honestly say we are so glad that he did!
Table of contents
We heard a commotion in the kitchen, and when we went to see what was happening, there he was. We found him sitting at the table eating corn with this huge smile on his face. He just looks up at us and says, "this is the best corn I have ever had in my life!" He offered us some and I have to admit, it was pretty darn good.
Other recipes you might like
- Quick and Easy Shrimp Tacos
- Simply Delicious BBQ Ribs
- BBQ Chicken - A Step by Step Guide
- Chipotle Ranch Sauce
Originally my husband used a store-bought BBQ seasoning blend. To make this recipe completely unique to us, my son and I started mixing up some different spices to create our own spice mix. That kid has a great palate and was a huge help.
- Corn on the cob
- Butter or margarine
- BBQ spice blend
Cooking the corn
- Remove the husk and silk from the corn. Trim edges of corn. (This step makes it easier to insert the corn cob holders) Rinse.
- Place a rack in a large skillet. Add about 1 inch of water and bring it to a boil.
- Place the corn on the rack, cover, and cook for about 10 minutes.
How to kick it up
How to make this Kicked-up Corn on the Cob,
Stick the corn holders into the corn cob. Place some pats of butter on your plate.
Roll the corn around in the butter to coat it well.
Smear a layer of mayonnaise over the corn. As much or as little as you like.
Now, the best part. Sprinkle some BBQ spice blend all over the corn on the cob. Next, twirl, spin, and roll that cob around and around. Get all those goodies mixed together!
Okay, now we are in for a treat. Time to take a bite. Or two. Or three...
Heavenly! Now is when I stop taking photos and finish eating this delicious piece of spiced up corn on the cob.
So, here is my husband's Kicked-Up Corn on the Cob and my recipe for BBQ Spice Blend.
Kicked-Up Corn on the Cob
- Corn on the Cob
- Butter however much you like
- Mayonnaise however much you like
- BBQ Spice Blend your favorite store bought or see my recipe below
BBQ spice blend ingredients
- 1 tablespoon Smokey Paprika
- 1 tablespoon Salt more or less to taste
- Dash Cayenne Pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Oregeno or Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon Onion Powder
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Curry Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon Celery Seed
To make the corn
- Remove the husk and silk from the corn and rinse.
- Trim edges of corn if desired to make it easier to insert corn cob holders.
- Place a rack in a large skillet and fill will about 1 inch or so of water. Bring to a boil.
- Add the corn and cover. Cook for about 10 minutes. This process is steaming the corn rather than boiling it and it is a method we prefer.
Make the BBQ seasoning blend
- Add all of the spices together and mix well. You can easily double this recipe. Store leftover spice blend in a covered container.
Time to eat
- Attach corn cob holders to the corn and swirl in butter.
- Smother on some mayonnaise.
- Sprinkle BBQ seasoning over the top and twirl, twirl, twirl.
Find all my recipes on Pinterest at Cook This Again. Or, on Facebook at Cook This Again.
Thank you for stopping by and checking out my family's favorite recipes.
If you tried this recipe and liked it, please use the stars on the above recipe card, or next to the comments below to rate the recipe. If you have a question or suggestion about this or any other recipe, please leave a comment and I will respond as soon as possible.
Leave a Reply