Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta Sauce is simple and delicious. I used sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil along with cream cheese, sour cream, and fresh basil. Yum!
This recipe is easy enough for a family weeknight dinner and elegant enough for a special meal for two.
My recipe for this sauce is based upon one I found in an old recipe booklet full of cream cheese recipes. Their recipe looked good, but I knew, for my family, I would have to make some adjustments.
Adding a few extra fresh ingredients, plus just a touch of heat would be a start.
And, for me, I would have to make this recipe as simple as possible, and most importantly of all, it needs to be easy to clean up. Who needs extra dirty dishes, right?
I really loved this recipe. Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta has a boldness from the sun-dried tomatoes, creaminess from the cream cheese, and sour cream. Then some fresh flavors from the garlic and basil, just a touch of warmth from the red pepper flakes, and all that is topped off with the saltiness of the parmesan cheese.
Other recipes you might enjoy
- Simple Hamburger Stroganoff
- Super Easy Chicken Divan
- Easy Smoked Sausage Jambalaya
- Lemonade Cake with Marshmallow Frosting
The original recipe called for dry sun-dried tomatoes. I used oil-packed because that is what I normally buy. I’m sure the dry ones work fine, just remember to follow the package directions to prepare them for use.
I also wanted to add just a touch of heat so, as I often do in my recipes, I put in a little bit of red pepper flakes.
I also decreased the amount of cream cheese. Instead of 8 ounces I only used 4 ounces. I did use some reserved pasta water for a little extra liquid. Chicken or vegetable stock would also work well.
Finally, I omitted margarine, added extra olive oil, and decided to top it all off with some parmesan cheese.
- Fettucine Pasta
- Sun-Dried Tomatoes in oil
- Cream Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Olive Oil
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Fresh Garlic
- Salt and Pepper
- Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- Fresh Basil
- Parmesan Cheese
If you are a huge pasta lover, this might make the perfect dinner or lunch for you.
Or, add a nice side salad with Italian or Ranch Dressing.
And some french bread (maybe garlic bread) to serve along with it would be fabulous.
If it is a protein that you want to add, some garlic shrimp would be heavenly layered on top of a pile of this creamy tomato pasta.
Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta Sauce
- 8 ounces Fettuccine Pasta
- ¼ cup Olive Oil divided, more if needed
- ½ cup Chicken Broth or vegetable, if needed
- 4 ounces Cream Cheese
- ¼ cup Sour Cream
- 4 cloves Garlic minced
- ¼ teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- ½ cup Sun-Dried Tomatoes (in oil) chopped after measuring
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- ¼ cup Basil Fresh, chopped
- Parmesan Cheese shredded
- Cook the pasta according to directions on package. Reserve ½ to 1 cup of water, drain and set pasta aside for a few minutes.
- While the pasta is cooking, peel the garlic, chop the sun-dried tomatoes, chop the basil, shred the parmesan cheese.
- Using the same pan you cook the pasta in, over medium heat, add a couple of tablespoons of olive oil, cream cheese, sour cream, ½ cup broth or reserved pasta water, red pepper flakes, and garlic. Stir the sauce until the cream cheese is melted and the sauce is creamy.
- Add the sun-dried tomatoes and salt and pepper. Now, you can leave the sauce with the bits of chopped sun-dried tomatoes or use the immersion blender to blend until it is smooth. Stir the sauce until warm and taste for seasoning. Adjust if necessary.
- Add the pasta to the sauce and drizzle with another couple of tablespoons of olive oil. Stir to combine. Add the basil, stir and serve. Add shredded parmesan cheese if desired.
Thank you for stopping by and checking out my family’s favorite recipes.
If you tried a recipe and liked it, please use the stars on the above recipe card, or next to the comments below to rate the recipe.
If you have a question or suggestion about a recipe, please leave a reply to this post.