I found a wonderful looking recipe for Chocolate Biscotti. The recipe called for pine nuts, but we did not have any so we decided to try pretzels. With help from my daughter, here are our delicious Chocolate Pretzel Biscotti.
Oh, and since we decided to add pretzels, we found it only fitting that we dip and then drizzle these little guys in melted chocolate. According to my daughter, they are “heaven”!
As soon as they were done, I had to make myself a cup of coffee!
Chocolate Pretzel Biscotti
- 2 cups Flour
- ½ cup Cocoa Powder
- ¾ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 stick of Butter, room temperature
- ⅔ cup packed Brown Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 2 cups Pretzels, gently crushed*
- 1 12 ounce package Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and brown sugar. Add the eggs and vanilla. Mix a couple of minutes until well blended. Stir in the flour and pretzel pieces.
- Divide dough into 2 pieces and place on a well floured surface. Mold pieces into a log about 2½ inches wide, and about 15 - 16 inches long. make sure there is a couple inches between the 2 pieces.
- Place dough on a parchment lined cookie sheet and bake in a 350 degree oven for 35 minutes. Remove from oven and set on a rack and allow to cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees this time.
- On a cutting board, slice each log into pieces about ¾ - 1 inch wide. Lay the pieces on the parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake for 9 - 11 minutes, until crisp. Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Melt chocolate chips over a double boiler. Dip bottom half of Biscotti into chocolate and return, chocolate side down, to parchment paper.
- I had a little left over melted chocolate, so I added a tiny bit of canola oil to it to thin. I then drizzled the remaining chocolate over the cookies. Enjoy!
* Recipe adapted from Cookie Swap cookbook.