Shrimp Tacos with Cilantro Lime Sauce are a delicious and refreshing twist on the classic Mexican dish that's ready in under 30 minutes! The combination of lightly spiced succulent shrimp, crunchy slaw, and tangy cilantro lime sauce creates a mouthwatering flavor explosion that will leave your taste buds begging for more.
Whether you're looking to spice up your weeknight dinner routine, something different for Taco Tuesday, or impress guests at your next gathering, these shrimp tacos are sure to be a hit.
Table of contents
As far as taco themed meals, my family also loves this Taco Pasta made in the Instant Pot. It is a super easy recipe done in no time! Then there is this Taco Lasagna Casserole, not only is it delicious for dinner, it makes great leftovers for lunch or dinner the next day.
To make the shrimp you will need: Shrimp, Olive Oil, Salt, Cumin, and Red Pepper Flakes if you like. Tortillas.
For the slaw: You need Cabbage and Carrots. Or, a bag of prepare slaw available at the grocery store.
For the cilantro lime sauce: Sour Cream, Lime Juice, Cumin, Cilantro, and Salt.
If you would like spicier shrimp, add more red pepper flakes or even some cayenne pepper.
In place of sour cream, you can use plain Greek yogurt.
Fresh and frozen shrimp both work in this recipe, however, you still will need to thaw the shrimp according the the package directions.
White Corn, Yellow Corn, or Flour Tortillas can be used. However, Corn Tortillas are more traditional and overall goes better with these shrimp tacos.
Step-by-Step Recipe Directions
If you are making fresh slaw, go ahead and shred the cabbage and grate the carrots. Mix the shredded cabbage with the carrots and set aside until ready to use.
Warm tortillas and place in a tortilla holder or on a plate covered with foil to keep them warm.
How to make Cilantro Lime Sauce
To make this creamy cilantro lime sauce, in a medium bowl mix together the sour cream, cumin, salt, fresh lime juice, and chopped cilantro. For a little extra lime flavor, add a little bit of lime zest to the sauce. Cover and set in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Making the shrimp tacos
Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Drizzle about one tablespoon of olive oil into the pan and add the raw shrimp. Sprinkle the shrimp with the cumin, salt, and red pepper flakes.
After about two minutes, flip the seasoned shrimp over. The first side should be slightly pink. Shrimp don't take long to cook, the should be done in about 4-5 minutes, depending on the size of the shrimp. I like to take one to test.
When the shrimp have finished cooking, turn off the heat and remove the pan from the burner.
Take a warmed tortilla shell and add some of the prepared slaw.
Drizzle some of the creamy cilantro sauce over the cabbage.
Add a layer of shrimp.
You can finish off the shrimp tacos with a squeeze of lime juice and some chopped cilantro.
These cilantro lime shrimp tacos offer so much flavor in just a few simple steps. From the creamy sauce, to the delicious sauteed shrimp. A perfect quick weeknight dinner or something different for taco night, we hope you enjoy this easy shrimp taco recipe.
Actually, either way works really well. Grilling the shrimp and the tortilla shells is a great variation to this recipe.
I like to use the large shrimp, (21 - 25 shrimp per pound). Cooking times vary depending on the size of shrimp used.
It completely depends on the size, but for 21 - 25 size shrimp, they will take about 4 to 5 minutes to cook on the stove.
Other recipes you might like
If you are a big fan of shrimp, keep an eye out at your local supermarket. When frozen shrimp is on sale, grab a bag or two and keep them on hand for dishes like this one!
Quick and Easy Shrimp Tacos
Cilantro Lime Sauce
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- ½ Lime juice
- ⅓ cup Cilantro chopped
- ½ teaspoon Salt to taste
- 1- 2 cups Cabbage thinly sliced
- ½ cup Carrots shredded or matchstick cut
For the Shrimp
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 pound Shrimp thawed (shell removed and de-veined)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- ¼ teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- Salt to taste
- Cilantro chopped (as much as you like)
- Limes cut into quarters to serve with Tacos
- 6 Corn Tortillas white or yellow
To make the cilantro lime sauce
- Mix together the Sour Cream, Cumin, Juice from ½ Lime, ⅓ cup chopped Cilantro, and Salt.
To make the cabbage slaw
- Thinly slice the Cabbage. Shred or cut some carrots. Or, use store bought prepared cabbage slaw.
How to cook the shrimp
- Heat skillet on medium heat. Drizzle about 1 tablespoon of olive oil into skillet. Then add thawed shrimp and sprinkle with cumin, salt, and red pepper flakes.
- Cook for a minute and turn shrimp over. Continue to cook and stir until shrimp is done. They don't take long at all, maybe 4 to 5 minutes total. I usually cut one open and sample it. Turn off heat, and remove skillet from hot burner.
Making the tacos
- Finally, assemble the taco. Place a little bit of sliced cabbage and carrot on a tortilla shell, drizzle with sour cream sauce, and place shrimp on top. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and lime juice if desired.