Finally, a night when we will all be home for dinner at the same time! This calls for something everyone will enjoy. These Citrus Marinated Chicken Fajitas (or Citrus Marinated Chicken Fajita Salad like I had) were a hit!
Well, it didn’t really work out that way. The plan was that everyone was going to be home, then my son had a change of plans, which led to me having to change my plans since he needed a ride, which led to the rest of us having sandwiches for dinner that night because I was too tired to cook when I finally got home.
The bright side was that I had everything prepped and ready to cook so dinner the next night was a breeze. The extra marinating time just added to the delicious flavors.
I sliced up some onion and green bell pepper and placed them in a zip-loc bag. My daughter doesn’t like onions, so I prep and cook them separately.
I then mixed up a blend of spices along with some fresh orange zest, and juice and a little bit of olive oil.
I put the spice blend in another zip-lock bag with some sliced chicken. I used chicken that I had in the freezer. I find that slicing chicken when it is semi frozen makes it a lot easier to slice into strips. Seal up the baggie and let it marinated for several hours, or overnight.
I use a cast iron skillet and cook the onions and bell peppers with little salt and pepper until they start to soften. Remove them from pan then cook the chicken. You can drain the marinade or keep it, either works, but you will get more browning (if that is what you like) if you drain the marinade first.
Roll the Citrus Marinated Chicken Fajitas up fajita style, or serve on a bed of lettuce. That is my daughter’s fajitas. Notice the lack of bell pepper and onion.
We serve them with sour cream, salsa, lime, and an assortment of cheese. We had Cheddar, Monterey Jack, and Pepper Jack. Yum!
Citrus Marinated Chicken Fajitas
- 1 - 1½ pounds Chicken, sliced
- 1 large Onion, sliced
- 1 large Green Bell Pepper, sliced
- Zest and Juice from 1 Orange
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- ½ teaspoon Chili Powder
- 2 teaspoons Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Smokey Paprika
- Dash or two of Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- Sour Cream
- Slice onions and bell peppers and put into zip loc bag.
- Slice chicken into strips and put into zip loc bag.
- Mix orange juice, orange zest, olive oil, and spices together. Add to chicken and mix through. Seal zip loc bag and let marinate for several hours or overnight.
- Cook onions, bell pepper, and chicken separately or together, however you prefer, over medium high heat. Chicken doesn't take long to cook since it is cut into strips, keep a close eye on it.
- Serve fajita style with tortillas, or over lettuce.