Recently I started a series of posts on Bulking Up. My son, now in college has been asking for protein and carb recipes. The other day I put together this very simple Creole Hamburger and Rice.
When I heard my son say that it didn't matter if his food had any flavor, he just needed the protein and carbs for his exercise goals, I cringed. The only way to convince him that it doesn't have to take a lot of effort was to cook something and prove it.
One of the "meals" he has cooked himself a few times is plain rice that has been mixed with plain crumbled hamburger. I mean come on kiddo! Blah!
Well, I was determined to show him how easy it could be to cook a quick tasty meal. So, I took some hamburger, added some seasoning and tomatoes and came up with this Creole Hamburger and Rice. Guess what? He loved it!
Other recipes you might like
The bonus is that this is also a simple and affordable recipe he will be able to enjoy when he continues his college education away from home. This is a dinner that he can easily cook with basic pantry items.
You can make your own Creole Seasoning, or just buy your favorite already made brand. If Creole isn't your thing, or you just want to switch up this simple recipe, try Italian, or Garlic 'n Herb seasoning instead.
- Ground Beef
- Creole Seasoning
- Instant Rice
- Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
For more bulking up recipes check out my Bulking Up – 20 Delicious Protein Rich Recipes post.
Creole Hamburger and Rice
- 1 pound Ground Beef 85 / 15
- 2 teaspoons Creole Seasoning
- 2 cups Water
- 1 cup Instant Rice
- 1 can Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
- 1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese *optional
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef over medium heat. Drain excess grease.
- Add the creole seasoning and stir well.
- Add the water and bring it to a boil. Next, add the instant rice. Cover and cook recommended time. Usually about 5 minutes.
- When the rice is done, add the tomatoes and stir well. Cook until heated thoroughly.
- If you want to add cheese, add it in last and stir just until melted. Serve