These Small Batch Chocolate Cupcakes are the absolute best and easy to make! This recipe uses mayonnaise and creates 12 moist and delicious cupcakes. Simple enough that the kids might even enjoy making dessert themselves!
Table of contents
Why we love this recipe
- It makes delicious chocolate cupcakes! - A perfect amount of chocolate, and since you use a little bit of mayonnaise, the cupcakes are super moist.
- This is a small batch of cupcakes - Sometimes, you don't want a whole bunch of cupcakes. Most box mixes make about 24 cupcakes. This homemade Small Batch Chocolate Cupcakes recipe makes just 12 cupcakes.
- This recipe for chocolate cupcakes is simple enough for older kids to make - I know my kids would sometimes decide to make a quick batch of cupcakes right after dinner. This recipe was easy enough and fast enough for them to have a special homemade treat they made themselves.
- These cupcakes really don't need frosting! - They are that good! In these photos, I am using a store-bought buttercream frosting. We often had them dusted with powdered sugar or just plain.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Line a 12-cup cupcake tin with cupcake liners or spray with no-stick spray.
1 - Whisk together the eggs, milk, canola oil, mayonnaise, and vanilla in a medium bowl.
2 - Add the sugar and continue to mix until the sugar has been incorporated.
3 - Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir until thoroughly combined.
4 - Add the chocolate cupcake batter to the prepared baking pan using an ice cream scoop or small measuring cup.
5 - The cups will be about ½ to ⅔ rds full. Bake the cupcakes in a 350-degree F oven for 14 - 17 minutes.
6 - The cupcakes are done when a toothpick is clean after being inserted into the center of the cupcakes. Let them cool and frost if desired.
In the photo above, we used store-bought buttercream frosting and Halloween sprinkles.
Other recipes you might like
In this recipe, using mayonnaise in combination with canola oil and eggs is the answer. Super moist and delicious.
I like to use canola oil in my baking. On rare occasions, when I cannot get canola oil, I will use vegetable oil instead.
Absolutely! I am all for adding chocolate chips whenever possible. Enjoy!
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating on the recipe card below & a review in the comments section further down the page.
Small Batch Chocolate Cupcakes
- 2 Eggs
- ¼ cup Canola Oil
- ¼ cup Mayonnaise
- ½ cup Milk
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- ½ cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup All-purpose Flour
- ⅓ cup Cocoa Powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare 12 cup muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In a mixing bowl, add the eggs, canola oil, mayonnaise, milk, and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add the granulated sugar and continue to whisk until blended.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Using an ice cream scoop, divide the mixture into the muffin pan.
- Bake for 14 - 17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool slightly, frost, and decorate if desired.