Corn Flakes Cookies are probably the first cookie my mom ever taught my brother and me how to make. This is a simple, old-fashioned meringue cookie recipe using Corn Flakes Cereal and a few basic ingredients.
These meringue cookies are slightly crisp on the outside and chewy on the inside. Since these cookies are so light and easy to make, they are perfect for young bakers and for a Christmas cookie that is a little bit different.
Another great recipe using Corn Flakes Cereal is Corn Flakes Apple Crunch. This heavenly apple crisp is delicious and served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Egg Whites
- Cream of Tartar
- Corn Flakes
Step 1. Add egg whites to a glass or metal mixing bowl.
Egg whites do not whip up well when plastic bowls or utensils are used.
Step 2. Using a hand or stand mixer, beat the egg whites until foamy.
While still beating, gradually add the cream of tartar, sugar, and vanilla.
Step 3. Continue to mix for 3 to 4 minutes. I was using high-speed with my hand mixer.
Step 4. When stiff peaks form, the egg whites are ready. They will hold their shape and stand up on the beaters, as shown in the photo.
Step 5. Add the Corn Flakes and stir gently using a metal or wooden spoon.
Step 6. Drop the Corn Flake meringue by spoonfuls onto a baking sheet. I have the best luck with an AirBake cookie sheet. However, you can use a regular baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
The Corn Flakes Cookies are ready to bake.
Cool the Corn Flakes Cookies on the cookie sheet for a minute or two, then move the cookies to a cooling rack.
Thank you, Alton Brown, for sharing the picture of my Corn Flakes Cookies on Instagram for your holiday cookie swap a few years ago. I can't tell you what a thrill that was!
Other recipes you might like
Be patient. It does take several minutes. You want stiff peaks to form.
I cook these Corn Flake Meringue Cookies at 300 to 325 degrees F. We like them slightly brown, crisp on the outside, and chewy on the inside. You can easily reduce the oven temperature to 250 degrees F, but cook 5 to 10 minutes longer.
We just leave the Corn Flakes Cookies on the cooling rack in the open air. This recipe makes a small batch of cookies, and they are usually eaten quickly. You can keep them in a lightly covered container if you prefer.
Add a few mini chocolate chips to the cookie batter for an extra treat!
Corn Flakes Cookies
- 3 Large Egg Whites
- ½ cup Granulated Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Cream of Tartar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 4 cups Corn Flakes Cereal
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Add the egg whites to a metal or glass mixing bowl. Beat the egg whites until they are foamy.
- Gradually add the sugar, cream of tartar and then the vanilla. Continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold in the Corn Flakes cereal using a metal or wooden spoon.
- Drop by spoonfuls onto the baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes. You do not want them to brown too much, but you want to bake them until they are no longer sticky.
- Cool cookies for about 1 minute before removing from pan.
- This recipe makes 18 - 24 cookies, depending on size.