I love using fresh oranges in recipes. These Chocolate Chip Orange Muffins are so good that I usually make a second batch soon after the first one disappears. Start the day with one of these muffins for breakfast with a glass of milk or a cup of coffee, and you are set!
This recipe has been updated with new photos and a change in ingredients. In the past I always used vanilla Greek yogurt, however, I find I am not buying it as much as I used to. This time I used sour cream. We loved the muffins just as much, maybe even more?
Other recipes you might enjoy
- Canola Oil
- Granulated Sugar
- Sour Cream, or Vanilla Greek Yogurt
- Grated Orange Rind, from 2 - 3 oranges
- Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice
- All-Purpose Flour
- Baking Powder
- Chocolate Chips
Chocolate Chip Orange Muffins are made with freshly grated orange rind, fresh-squeezed orange juice, and a few chocolate chips! A winning combo for breakfast!
Tips for making these muffins
- After washing the oranges, grate the oranges before juicing.
- When you have the freshly grated orange rind, split it in half. Some will be used in the muffins and some will be used in the topping.
- One medium orange will average about ¼ cup of orange juice.
- I have used both sour cream and vanilla Greek yogurt in this recipe. Both work well.
- Be careful not to pack the flour when measuring it. Spoon the flour into a measuring cup then level off.
- Never over mix the batter when making muffins. They will be lighter and fluffier if you only mix the batter until combined.
- Using an ice cream scoop really makes filling the muffin cups a lot easier.
If you aren’t a breakfast type of person, don’t worry, these fresh orange muffins are a perfect afternoon snack, too.
Chocolate Chip Orange Muffins
- ¼ cup Canola Oil
- 1 Egg
- ½ cup Granulated Sugar
- ½ cup Sour Cream or Vanilla Greek Yogurt
- Grated Orange Zest 2 - 3 oranges
- ½ cup Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 ½ cups All Purpose Flour
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ - 1 cup Chocolate Chips
- 2-3 tablespoon Granulated Sugar
- Grated Orange Zest
- Pre-heat oven to 350-degrees.
- Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners or lightly coat the cups with non-stick spray.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the oil, egg, sugar, yogurt, orange zest, orange juice, and vanilla.
- Next, add the flour, salt, and baking powder. Stir just until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips. The batter will be slightly thick.
- Using an ice cream scoop, spoon, or measuring cup, fill each muffin cup about ⅔ to ¾ full with the batter. This recipe makes 12 muffins.
- Mix the second half of the orange zest with the sugar. Use your fingers or a fork to release the oils. Sprinkle the orange sugar over the tops of the muffins.
- Bake muffins in a 350-degree oven for 16 – 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle of one of the muffins.
- Cool slightly. Enjoy!