I love using fresh oranges in recipes. These Chocolate Chip Orange Muffins are so good that I usually make a second batch soon after the first one disappears. Start the day with one of these muffins for breakfast with a glass of milk or a cup of coffee, and you are set!
This recipe has been updated with new photos and a change in ingredients. In the past I always used vanilla Greek yogurt, however, I find I am not buying it as much as I used to. This time I used sour cream. We loved the muffins just as much, maybe even more?
Other recipes you might enjoy
- Canola Oil
- Granulated Sugar
- Sour Cream, or Vanilla Greek Yogurt
- Grated Orange Rind, from 2 - 3 oranges
- Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice
- All-Purpose Flour
- Baking Powder
- Chocolate Chips
Chocolate Chip Orange Muffins are made with freshly grated orange rind, fresh-squeezed orange juice, and a few chocolate chips! A winning combo for breakfast!
Tips for making these muffins
- After washing the oranges, grate the oranges before juicing.
- When you have the freshly grated orange rind, split it in half. Some will be used in the muffins and some will be used in the topping.
- One medium orange will average about ¼ cup of orange juice.
- I have used both sour cream and vanilla Greek yogurt in this recipe. Both work well.
- Be careful not to pack the flour when measuring it. Spoon the flour into a measuring cup then level off.
- Never over mix the batter when making muffins. They will be lighter and fluffier if you only mix the batter until combined.
- Using an ice cream scoop really makes filling the muffin cups a lot easier.
If you aren’t a breakfast type of person, don’t worry, these fresh orange muffins are a perfect afternoon snack, too.
Chocolate Chip Orange Muffins
- ¼ cup Canola Oil
- 1 Egg
- ½ cup Granulated Sugar
- ½ cup Sour Cream or Vanilla Greek Yogurt
- Grated Orange Zest 2 - 3 oranges
- ½ cup Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 ½ cups All Purpose Flour
- ½ tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- ½ - 1 cup Chocolate Chips
- 2-3 tbsp Granulated Sugar
- Grated Orange Zest
- Pre-heat oven to 350-degrees.
- Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners or lightly coat the cups with non-stick spray.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the oil, egg, sugar, yogurt, orange zest, orange juice, and vanilla.
- Next, add the flour, salt, and baking powder. Stir just until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips. The batter will be slightly thick.
- Using an ice cream scoop, spoon, or measuring cup, fill each muffin cup about ⅔ to ¾ full with the batter. This recipe makes 12 muffins.
- Mix the second half of the orange zest with the sugar. Use your fingers or a fork to release the oils. Sprinkle the orange sugar over the tops of the muffins.
- Bake muffins in a 350-degree oven for 16 – 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle of one of the muffins.
- Cool slightly. Enjoy!
View the web story for Fresh Apricot Pie.
Thank you for stopping by and checking out my family's favorite recipes. If you tried this recipe and liked it, please use the stars on the above recipe card, or next to the comments below to rate the recipe. If you have a question or suggestion about this or any other recipe, please leave a comment and I will respond as soon as possible.