This is the perfect recipe to satisfy your sweet tooth. These Chocolate Cherry Dessert Bars are rich, gooey, and delectable. You won't be able to stop at just one!
And can you believe this all starts with a can of cherry pie filling and a box of chocolate cake mix? Chocolate Cherry Dessert Bars are made with simple ingredients, are very easy to make, and are fun and delicious to eat!
This recipe was adapted from a recipe found in a very old cookbook featuring sweetened condensed milk. The old cookbook has been in my family for years and I took a recipe they had and adjusted it to go with some items I had in our pantry.
Other recipes you might like
I'm going to be totally honest with you. On the first day you can cut these cookies into dessert bars, but by the second day (if there is any left) it does start to get a little bit gooier and the bars might not cut as cleanly. Not that there is anything wrong with that! Believe me, it tasted so good we did not mind at all!
For this recipe you will need...
- Chocolate cake mix
- Canola oil
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Almond Butter
- Can of cherry pie filling
How to make this recipe
In a mixing bowl, mix together the cake mix with the canola oil and egg. The mix will be a bit crumbly.
Press about two-thirds of the mix into the bottom of a 13 x 9 baking dish that has been sprayed with non-stick spray. Reserve the rest of the mix for the topping.
Mix together the sweetened condensed milk and the almond butter. Pour the batter onto the chocolate dessert bar base.
This batter is a bit thick, but if you work gently you will be able to spread it okay without disturbing the base.
Next, add the can of cherry pie filling. Isn't it pretty?
Sprinkle the remaining chocolate crumbs over the top of the cherry pie filling. Now it is time to bake.
And here is the finished product. Let cool completely before cutting in to bars.
How to store?
When the weather has been a bit cooler, we store the Chocolate Cherry Dessert Bars on the counter. Make sure to lightly cover with foil or plastic wrap. In warmer weather, it would probably be better to keep them in the refrigerator.
Chocolate Cherry Dessert Bars
- Hand Mixer
- 1 box Chocolate cake mix
- ¼ cup Canola oil
- 1 Egg
- 1 can Sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup Almond butter
- 1 can Cherry pie filling
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using an electric mixer, mix together the cake mix, canola oil, and the egg in a medium-size bowl. The mixture will be crumbly.
- Spray a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Press about two-thirds of the dessert base into the baking dish. Reserve the remaining crumbles for the topping.
- Using the electric mixer again, combine the sweetened condensed milk and the almond butter until well blended. Pour this mixture over the dessert base. Spread out the almond butter mixture gently to prevent the dessert base from lifting.
- Next, add the cherry pie filling layer over the almond butter mixture.
- Finally, use remaining crumble mixture over the cherries.
- Bake the Chocolate Cherry Dessert Bars for 30 - 40 minutes until set. You will notice that the almond butter mixture should not jiggle around easily when it is done.
- Cool completely before cutting into bars.
- Store on the counter covered lightly with foil or in the refrigerator in warmer weather.
Thank you for stopping by and checking out my family's favorite recipes. If you tried a recipe and liked it, please use the stars on the above recipe card, or next to the comments below to rate the recipe.
If you have a question or suggestion about a recipe, please leave a reply to this post.