I had several bell peppers in the refrigerator that needed to be used, quickly. I wasn’t in the mood to make stuffed peppers, so I came up with this Simple Bell Pepper Casserole.
It is, pretty much, a deconstructed version of my Stuffed Bell Peppers recipe.
The whole family loved it, and it was so simple to prepare. Since this week has been super busy (basketball season for the kids!) I was real happy that we were able to get two full meals out of this recipe.
The kids were easily able to pop some in the microwave and re-heat dinner when they were ready. I used ground turkey instead of beef and the result was a healthy and delicious casserole!
Simple Bell Pepper Casserole
- 2 cups Rice, cooked
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 pkg. (1¼ lbs.) Ground Turkey
- 2 Green Bell Peppers, cut into small strips
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, cut into small strips
- 1 small Onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder, divided
- 2½ - 3 teaspoons Italian Seasoning, divided
- Dash or two of Red Pepper Flakes
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 1 can Diced Tomatoes
- 1 can Tomato Sauce, divided
- 1½ - 2 cups Shredded Cheese
- Cook the rice and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add a drizzle of Olive Oil and the ground turkey. Using a wooden spoon, start to break up the ground turkey. Add the bell peppers, onion, ½ teaspoon garlic, dash or two of red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, and about 2 teaspoons of the Italian seasoning.
- Continue to cook until the turkey is done and the peppers and onions are softened.
- Add the rice, diced tomatoes, and ½ the can of tomato sauce to the turkey mixture. Pour the turkey and rice mixture into a 13 x 9 baking dish that has been sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Place the skillet back on the burner and add the remaining half can of tomato sauce. Fill the empty tomato sauce can about half full with water and add to the tomato sauce along with a little more salt and pepper, the remaining 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning, and ½ teaspoon of garlic powder. Warm slightly.
- Pour the tomato sauce over the top of the turkey and rice mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. I used a combination of mozzarella and cheddar.
- Place the casserole dish in the oven that has been preheated to 375 degrees. Warm the Bell Pepper Casserole until bubbly and the cheese has melted.
- Remove from oven and serve.
*I had prepared this casserole earlier in the day and placed it in the refrigerator. It took about 25 – 30 minutes to warm and for the cheese to melt.
*I started with frozen ground turkey. I warmed the skillet over medium low heat, added the olive oil and ground turkey, and covered with a lid. I let the meat thaw/cook while I chopped up the veggies. Once one side starts to thaw, flip over the ground turkey, and put the lid back on the skillet. After a few minutes, use the wooden spoon to start to break up the meat. Once the turkey had mostly thawed (it was still pretty raw) I turned up the heat a bit and added the onion, bell peppers, and seasonings.